Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
less I know,more I learn

Garage

Things are moving slow. It is so freaking cold in the great white north right now. Rear sus is apart,cleaned and epoxy primer. Torsion bars are out and staying out. Going with a coilover from GC.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Don't leave the beer out too long it's -40 with the wind chill.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
The beer wont last long enough to freeze
Old 02-14-2015, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

I am loving this build. Hopefully I can come for a visit once the weather warms up. I'm pretty sure you're not far from me.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Sure,come by anytime. Where abouts are you.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

In Brampton.

What are your motor plans for this car? I see an engine block on a stand in the background. You doing a serious motor build or anything?

You a PCA member?
Old 02-15-2015, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Right on,you're just down the road. The block you see on a stand is not the block I'm using. I'm using an 87 block which is at machine shop right now. I'll post pics and details of motor when I start building it.

I am not a PCA member. Not yet anyways

Last edited by Backyardbodyman; 02-15-2015 at 08:58 AM..
Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Raymond,
wondered when you would be updating.

I finally created my own build thread. not sure it is as interesting to see as yours.

my 951 DE/street build

hoping to be done with the clutch installation soon, so I can get serious about my 930. thinking THAT thread will look a lot more like yours. start by dropping engine/trans. eventually, will do full repaint along with a full brake and suspension upgrade. modified 3.3 turbo and widebody/slantnose, but still sitting on stock SC NA suspension and brakes.

here is that thread. just a start but will update as I go.

930 clone restore - if you had it to do all over?

keep up the great work and keep posting.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Windchill here is -45F today. I'm not working on anything for awhile.
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Right on Lapkritis,it's hibernation time. I'm not doing anything for a while also. That's great Bob,I will be checking it out. I think everyones' build is interesting. I get all my ideas from looking at other cars.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Not trying to be an a**, even though I'll probably sound like one.

But.....

You only have a half cage, but have a Lexan windscreen? IIRC Lexan isn't legal for the street in a lot of places, making this a purely track car. In that case, why wouldn't you have a full cage? Maybe Lexan is street legal where you are.

And curious why you put the sidebars to the floor rather than frame rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyardbodyman View Post
Is that a grommet from the seatbelt? Genius. Seriously - genius. That's some good stuff!

And yes, there is plenty of power to be made from the NA engine. The 8V is probably good for about 250hp. Comes at a price, however.

Quote:
Right on,the leather belt windows was used on the early 911R that Porsche built. I beleive they only built very few of these. They weighed under 1800 pnds and had a power to weight ratio of under 8 pnds per hp.
Yea, they made about 20 or so I think.

Quote:
Wow, it does 70mph just standing still!

Last edited by FrenchToast; 02-15-2015 at 02:15 PM..
Old 02-15-2015, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
The lexan windshield is an experiment. If I'm happy with it on the street I'll leave it. If not I'll put a glass windshield back in. I work with an MTO instructor who said lexan is permissible and not illegal on a custom car. If I find out the hard way that it's illegal then glass will be going back on. I left a partial cage cause I still want to keep it a street car and did not feel it needed a full cage. And I contemplated a lot over that. The side bars I welded to a 90 angle plate welded to the floor and inner A pillar. The frame rails are to far in for me to do it the way I wanted. I did the side bars so I can get in and out of the car the easiest way possible for me. With a full cage there's no way I would be able to get in and out with my back and hip and weak left leg. Cheers
Old 02-15-2015, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Sorry,that is a seat belt grommet and building a na engine with any power does come at a price. But that's all part of the fun,trying to get a little car with a little motor to go fast. I know turbo charging it would have been the best way to make power,but this is what I want do right now.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Quote:
The lexan windshield is an experiment. If I'm happy with it on the street I'll leave it. If not I'll put a glass windshield back in. I work with an MTO instructor who said lexan is permissible and not illegal on a custom car. If I find out the hard way that it's illegal then glass will be going back on. I left a partial cage cause I still want to keep it a street car and did not feel it needed a full cage. And I contemplated a lot over that. The side bars I welded to a 90 angle plate welded to the floor and inner A pillar. The frame rails are to far in for me to do it the way I wanted. I did the side bars so I can get in and out of the car the easiest way possible for me. With a full cage there's no way I would be able to get in and out with my back and hip and weak left leg. Cheers
I see. Exit strategy is a good thing to consider!

Just remember with the Lexan you can't run wipers on it in the dry! The blades can scratch it. What makes it worse is it is very easy to accidentally hit the wiper stalk in these cars.

Good stuff so far. I really like the seat belt grommet. Great way to reuse a part.

Not to mention all your metal fab work - stuff like that is a lot of work and it came out great.

Yes, making the little motor go is fun! You can make it plenty of fun.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Thanks,I don't have a glass windshield right now but I'm keeping my eye open for a good used one. The lexan is going on dry with a little adhesive on the outer molding so I can easily remove it without damaging a fresh paint job. A wiper blade is going on for show not to attract any attention from the cops. The lexan is only noticeable up close even if it is illegal. I love breaking the rules. Thank God we don't have to emission test cars 87 and older up here.

That's a good tip. I'll keep the wiper blade fuse or the connection out so I don't accidentally hit it on dry lexan and only use it if I get caught in the rain.

Last edited by Backyardbodyman; 02-16-2015 at 05:12 AM..
Old 02-16-2015, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage

Old 02-23-2015, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Wire wheel on a die grinder works great on aluminum. FAG makes great bearings for a better deal. Delrin bushings have to be heated to 300 degrees to get on. I used my wife's oven,5-10 min at 300 and they slide on the spring plates real nice. Solid tranny mount and short throw linkage. In the future I would like to upgrade to a turbo transaxle with LSD.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

they say imitation is the most since form of flattery. I think I need to stop reading your thread.

I had gotten that trans mount from LR, and just received that short shift kit from 944online.

my car already has some kind of short shift. but a friend had installed one of these new ones in his car and loves it. so with the tranny out decided to replace. I am expecting it will have an even tighter feel with those mono balls and no rubber bushing on that linkage.

have an order into LR for their short shift lever. it has several short sections at the top end so you can adjust the height, and can adjust the lower length too so you can get the shifting the way you want. out of stock now, but expect to have them by the time I need it.

now with adjustable at both ends, I suspect it is possible to get the throws too short.

what do you have? that shifter look really short in your pics, it looks like a nice aftermarket.

I plan to remove my full leather boot as you did so the new LR one can be seem. I also got the little inside leather boot from 944online to replace that rubber inner boot.

I was thrilled to find this car has the LSD.

will be posting my pic soon. not been to the garage for a couple weeks.

great work.

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Right on Bob,my shifter is the same with bottom adjustment only. It's sitting lower cause my torque tube is hanging in the front. I have a nice Momo leather boot that attaches to the knob that will go on later.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage

Old 02-25-2015, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: