Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to MPitt
Leaing oil, don't know where to start

My car has been leaking something but I didn't look into it sooner because I'm a bad person and thinking it was the brake fluid that's been an issue since I've owned the car. Recently it's gotten worse and leaving more spots everywhere so I jacked it up hoping to find where the leak is coming from, but it's not somewhere easily spotted and I'm not sure where to start looking.

I took some pictures with it jacked up just now.

There isn't any oil in engine bay that I could see, and it's all right below with nothing past the oil pan.

Last edited by MPitt; 11-10-2014 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Something told it to submit too soon.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Could be the front of the oil pan gasket, the oil pump seal, ps pump, ps hoses or a combination of all or part of these areas... two ways you can go about finding the leak.

1) Clean the mess up, drive the car a while and recheck, with a clean area you'll be better able to locate the source.

2) Clean the mess up and then remove the ps/ac belts, front belt housing, can and balance shaft belts, rear belt housing and locate the leak. At this point have a cam and balance shaft handy so you can do a belt job while you're in there.

I'd start with cleaning that oily mess up.

Hard to help when we cant see the problem through the mess.

Last edited by Freaky; 11-10-2014 at 01:28 PM..
Old 11-10-2014, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah, sorry...

What is the best to use to get that all cleaned up?
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Leaking oil

Get several aerosol cans of Gunk engine degreaser, apply, possible scrub then rinse with plenty of water. Let dry and maybe re do a couple of times. Probably a safe bet front main seal and balance shaft seals.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Once you've got all the cleaning done, go to the auto parts store and buy a flourescent dye tracer kit. They're cheap and after adding the dye to the engine oil, drive the car for a couple of hundred miles and then, using the magic flashlight and glasses from the kit, start looking for dye traces. This dye can also be used in the transaxle, power steering, coolant system and brake reservoir (but should be flushed after use and replaced with proper brake fluid).

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That picture makes me very, very sad. There is a spray-bottle degreaser called Fast 505 available at Lowes that I used on my car when I first bought it, it looked very similar to that. I highly recommend that stuff, spray it everywhere you can and hose it off. All that mess could be a bad power steering hose, and the cooling fans are throwing the slop everywhere, as was my case.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPitt View Post
What is the best to use to get that all cleaned up?
Maybe one of those DIY car wash places with the power wash gun and some degreaser?

I powerwashed the bottom of my car to trace some leaks and it was pretty painless, just wear crap clothes and wear some glasses.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Purple Power works well, just be sure to use plenty of water when cleaning.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
More Boost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Murphy View Post
Get several aerosol cans of Gunk engine degreaser, apply, possible scrub then rinse with plenty of water. Let dry and maybe re do a couple of times. Probably a safe bet front main seal and balance shaft seals.
+100

Found my car to be in a similar situation. I am still in the process of doing the whole front end seals, races, mylar seals, water pump, belts, rollers, rennbay reseal on the power steering pump w/new Power Steering Pump Banjo Bolt Seals 14mm x2, new ps reservoir, ps hoses.

My AOS seals and cam tower are leaking so the "while your in there" rule is in place, pulled the fuel rail, getting the injectors redone, new fuel lines and jumper line. New rear cork gasket should be in friday, so out comes the cam tower for a full reseal.

I bought 15 pack of toothbrushes and using purple power diluted in a pro spray bottle and scrubbing everything down. This takes a bit longer, but a clean engine is a cooler engine.

Looking forward to a clean, no leak 944 for years to come, hopefully.

Last edited by fiily; 11-13-2014 at 07:44 AM..
Old 11-13-2014, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I was planning on stopping at a carwash today to try and get it cleaned up a bit, but had to stop for oil on the way home last night. Got some cans of Gunk degreaser (2 for $6, nice!) so I'm hoping to get it all cleaned up tomorrow. Figures it would start being the coldest days here so far when I need to get this done.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
1988 944 2.5L 8-v NA 301k

Garage
Hi MPitt..
I noticed your passenger side stabilizer bar bushing is completely gone.
Was it removed or simply disintegrated in the power steering fluid and oil soup?
How does the car handle without it?
How much oil do you have to replace each week?
How much power steering fluid?

We've all had leaky fluids under our 944's so let us know what the dye kit and glasses test turns up.
Best wishes.. mikey
Paid just $1,700 running & inspected.
Big RUSH Fan! Lic Plate = LIFESON
Old 11-14-2014, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

It has probably disintegrated, or at least was not removed purposefully by me. Yesterday and today on the interstate the car felt a little loose I guess, like it was being blown by the wind, but not something that stood out to me before recently. Not sure if that's related.

I put a quart in because it was low and I've been keeping an eye on it. Not sure how much it's losing but it's a significant amount where I am consciously keeping an eye on it now. I haven't checked the power steering fluid since everything felt fine (have had that get punctured before) but I will check it tomorrow once I have some light and see where it's at.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Sorry for getting back so late. I did a preliminary cleanup and I'm thinking the leak is from the oil cooler? Not sure if anything else would be in that specific area.

If the oil leak wasn't bad enough, I am pretty sure the starter switch just died too.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: