Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Broke nipple off brake fluid reservoir, any way to avoid buying another?

That stock clamp is damn near impossible to take off. Unfortunately I broke the nipple while wiggling it. is there anyway to rig it so I can avoid replacing the whole thing?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2014, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have broken no less than 2 of them my self. The PO of my 944 was able to use epoxy to hold it on and its held up for the past 3 years no issues. Just use lots of epoxy. You could try to use some thin metal pipe in the nipple and then have it run into the reservoir to ensure a nice joint, then lots of epoxy around that. Think male-male connector.

Regards
Dave
Old 12-09-2014, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

Nope, buy another one. Tons of used ones out there.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKS View Post
Nope, buy another one. Tons of used ones out there.
Not as many as you might think. None on ebay

Old 12-09-2014, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Colangelo View Post
I have broken no less than 2 of them my self. The PO of my 944 was able to use epoxy to hold it on and its held up for the past 3 years no issues. Just use lots of epoxy. You could try to use some thin metal pipe in the nipple and then have it run into the reservoir to ensure a nice joint, then lots of epoxy around that. Think male-male connector.

Regards
Dave
That's a good idea. Lots and lots of epoxy. I wish there wasn't a wall in the middle of the reservoir, could easily stick a little funnel shaped thing thru that would hold well.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

The last fluid you want to lose is brake fluid, why the fuch would you use epoxy to fix something so important?

1986 Porsche 944 Base Coupe - Brake Hydraulics - Page 2
Old 12-09-2014, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

Or, I bet if you searched for 2 minutes you would find a dozen used ones here: Porsche 924/944/968 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
Old 12-09-2014, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

For something that important I would source out a good used unit first and repair it as a very last resort.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsn View Post
for something that important i would source out a good used unit first and repair it as a very last resort.
+1
Old 12-09-2014, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'd be inclined to ask on the used board as has been suggested. eBay results are not very informative on this matter, are they? Informative, yes, but of what? And how good?

Or ... nice brand-new reservoir, gotta like that! And keep our host up!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Colangelo View Post

Regards
Dave
This worked for me. +1

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Reservoir

Have this one FS. The float SW is missing a contact so just use your cap or parts from it.

crossrocker; Sent you a PM .
K

Have a ton of parts in two photo bucket accounts:
Numbered Listings 944 924 Photos by kwandrey | Photobucket

924-944 Parts Photos by Kens_74_911s | Photobucket
84,85x2 .86,87,944. 82-924,88-924s parted with inventory!
68, 70, 72, 73, 911~ 70,73 914 past Pcars
Old 12-10-2014, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
I also have a spare reservoir. There should be one around where your located. Don't use epoxy on a master cylinder. The hydraulic brake fluid is so corrosive. Never ever use any kind of epoxy no matter how good it is on a hydraulic system. All you need is a reservoir. Replace it. Don't try to fix it. Throw the broken reservoir out.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Just to share a funny story on this. I once met up with a guy who was parting out a 944 to buy some odds and ends for mine. I knew there was epoxy on my break tank and it had always been like that (i assume from a similar situation) anyway the parts car had a good tank so we were pulling it out and while trying to remove the clip we broke the nipple off. We both started laughing and came to terms with the fact that at some point every 944 owner has done this.

Maybe ill spend some time trying to design a better aftermarket tank...

Regards
Dave
Old 12-10-2014, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Anytime I run into stuck hoses on a plastic fitting I remove the clamp and slice the hose with a razor and very carefully remove it. Just had a look on eBay and there's lots. Early and late,reservoir with master,without master. Averaging from $20-60.

Last edited by Backyardbodyman; 12-10-2014 at 06:19 AM..
Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Cut the hose on these wimpy nipples

+1 on carefully cutting the hose off with a razor; these nipples are way too easy to break. I assume this is the nipple that feeds the clutch, can you clean up the hole and screw in a metal fitting or screw in a hollow metal rod?

Probably best to buy a new or used reservoir though I do not see one on Pelican's site for my 1988.

I tore the nipple on the clutch master cylinder, it is also weak plastic. From now on I'll use a scalpel and surgically remove the hose.

Plastics can be welded (Harbor Freight has several plastic welders) but I have not done it so I don't know how strong the repair is. See a guy weld a tank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Fkhz2G9Is Also interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAjTsIkTq0M

Last edited by 88Silver924S; 12-10-2014 at 08:24 PM..
Old 12-10-2014, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyardbodyman View Post
Anytime I run into stuck hoses on a plastic fitting I remove the clamp and slice the hose with a razor and very carefully remove it. Just had a look on eBay and there's lots. Early and late,reservoir with master,without master. Averaging from $20-60.
what's the technique for the stock hoseclamp?? I literally could not get the damn thing to budge.

I purchased a used reservoir and it's on the way.

As far as the metal nipple goes, a friend of mine suggested it but there's no visible way to get onto that side of the wall. Or else this would been a great permanent solution.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Better late than never : I can vouch for kens_74_911s - thanks again for the great service and accurate description of the NLA used fuel/brake line clips/nuts/rubber mounts! They work perfectly!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukowski View Post
Better late than never : I can vouch for kens_74_911s - thanks again for the great service and accurate description of the NLA used fuel/brake line clips/nuts/rubber mounts! They work perfectly!
Yup bought from him

Old 12-11-2014, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: