Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
944 won't start

I have a 1985.5 944 and it will not start. It turns over great and it has healthy spark and I broke open the main fuel line feed into the fuel rail and it is getting plenty of gas to the fuel rail. I have not actually pulled the fuel rail to see if the injectors are spraying out gas yet. I just thought I would ask for suggestions before I start digging deeper like taking apart the fuel rail and checking the injectors, timing, relays, and taking apart and checking the air intake and throttle body, etc.

It is weird because I have had the car for a couple of years and it is just a weekend driver and it has ran great for 2 years and then all of the sudden I go out to start it and it would turn over great but absolutely nothing other than that. The car won't even act like it wants to fire, not even a hiccup or a backfire which I can't understand since it is getting plenty of gas and great spark. Is there a fuse or a relay which controls the fuel injectors? It seems like it would at least backfire or hiccup even if a couple of the injectors are clogged. Thanks for any help. Clay

Old 12-12-2014, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
More Boost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crogers View Post
I have a 1985.5 944 and it will not start. It turns over great and it has healthy spark and I broke open the main fuel line feed into the fuel rail and it is getting plenty of gas to the fuel rail. I have not actually pulled the fuel rail to see if the injectors are spraying out gas yet. I just thought I would ask for suggestions before I start digging deeper like taking apart the fuel rail and checking the injectors, timing, relays, and taking apart and checking the air intake and throttle body, etc.

It is weird because I have had the car for a couple of years and it is just a weekend driver and it has ran great for 2 years and then all of the sudden I go out to start it and it would turn over great but absolutely nothing other than that. The car won't even act like it wants to fire, not even a hiccup or a backfire which I can't understand since it is getting plenty of gas and great spark. Is there a fuse or a relay which controls the fuel injectors? It seems like it would at least backfire or hiccup even if a couple of the injectors are clogged. Thanks for any help. Clay

I would try wiggling around and unplug/plug your speed & reference sensors. Try starting it afterwards and if it does, replace your sensors. $100 for both online or through pelican parts.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I ordered the 2 reference sensors and after waiting almost 2 weeks because of the holidays, I got them a few days ago and just finished installing them. While removing them, the old ones pretty much disintegrated at the plug ins as soon as I touched them and one of them snapped off where it goes into the housing on the motor while I was removing it. After a lot of time and cursing, I finally got it out with a pair of long nosed vise grips. Anyway, I think they have been going bad for a while because the car starts amazingly well now. It used to crank for a few seconds before it would start and then it would run rough for a couple of minutes while it warmed up, but I just started it and after not being started for over a month, it fired right up instantly and ran smooth. Thanks fiily for the help. Clay
Old 12-28-2014, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
More Boost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crogers View Post
I ordered the 2 reference sensors and after waiting almost 2 weeks because of the holidays, I got them a few days ago and just finished installing them. While removing them, the old ones pretty much disintegrated at the plug ins as soon as I touched them and one of them snapped off where it goes into the housing on the motor while I was removing it. After a lot of time and cursing, I finally got it out with a pair of long nosed vise grips. Anyway, I think they have been going bad for a while because the car starts amazingly well now. It used to crank for a few seconds before it would start and then it would run rough for a couple of minutes while it warmed up, but I just started it and after not being started for over a month, it fired right up instantly and ran smooth. Thanks fiily for the help. Clay
Glad I could help. I learned from others, and just passing the knowledge down the line.

Enjoy the car, 3 more months, and I can pull mine out of the garage!!

Old 12-28-2014, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: