Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1989 944 turbo on ebay

I am watching this car on Ebay only with high bid interest. Definitely a desirable model, and may be a good car but it has issues. Anyone care to give their opinions based on the pictures and info? I have not seen this car in person.

Porsche 944 Turbo 2dr Hatchback | eBay

Peugeot moped
Old 12-14-2014, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

IMO it's a $6k car tops I'm betting the dealer selling it has a reserve much higher, probably in the 8-10k range. To get it looking decent you'll need full paint, leather seat covers, dash recovered then assume it needs an AC compressor and charge. That rust on the bottom rear quarter is worrying. I'd say you are looking at spending another $5k to make a decent car, unless you are just looking for a runner and not concerned about looks.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

three things would make me very nervous about this car:

1. the amount of rust. my car is no garage queen, but it has no rust.

2. that boost enhancer would make me very very nervous. not that they inherently evil, you just don't know who has been playing with it and how far they have gone.

3. the fact that the heat does not get hot. there may be some very benign explanations for this, but i think there are also some very malignant explanations.

overall, i think the car looks okay. the interior isn't too bad for a car that old (much better than my seats and such, for sure.)

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 12-14-2014, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The color combo is quite rare, and a stunner as well. It was only available on the 944 from '89-91. This example however is far from factory cosmetics. That interior is pretty beat.

The rust on the lower rear rockers is a typical area for these cars to rust. They rust from the inside out typically, so if it is that visible on the outside it could be a mess on the inside. You can open the door, pull out the plastic vent and look inside with a flashlight, or better yet a camera/scope.

If you want to get serious you can borrow a camera scope from someone, pull the carpet back from the rocker, and pull out one of the access grommets and take a look.

Rust on the bottom of the front fender is negligible, as the fender can be pulled off and blasted. But it could be an indicator of rust in other places. Or it just could be a really bad repaint. I also see a rust stain on the front bumper - likely from a rusty nose panel. Also the bottom edge of the doors looks to be rust stained.

Rusty brake booster also shows this car sat in a moist environment or was driven in the winter, or both. Most everything else in the engine bay seems to have rusty scale on it, down to the battery terminals - this personally would steer me away. I looked at a car and it had a similar-looking engine bay. I had made my decision once I saw the engine bay.

Interior would likely need to be reupholstered - finding replacement pieces in Marine Blue will be quite difficult. As for the claimed "leather interior" - only the seat inserts are leather. The rest is vinyl - this is not a full-leather car.

Looks like one of the taillights has been replaced - inspect the rear quarters for repair. Sunroof closing issue is probably the moment switch, which is located in the center bracket assembly, which appears to have been installed incorrectly after the repaint.

At it's current price IMO it is not worth it considering the cosmetics and mileage. It might be worth it to you if you really like the color combo. I can say that the combo is very good looking, much more than I expected from pictures compared to when I saw it in person. (Not this specific car, but the same color combo). I think I've documented (very, very amateur) less than ten Turbos in this exact combo. I would guess less than fifty Turbos came to the states in this exact combo.

As 9FF says - if cosmetics aren't a concern, then it could be worth it. Keep in mind any repairs could end up being rusty replacements.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 12-14-2014 at 08:06 PM..
Old 12-14-2014, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Auction ended at $6,200 reserve not met. Bidders were wary of condition

Peugeot moped
Old 12-17-2014, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: