Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Late 944 Windshield

It looks like in my area it costs about $850 to replace a late windshield. As always, it's more in Canada, compared to the 500-600 I've read about in the US.

I want to install a used one from a wrecker, but it looks like you can't remove it without destroying the build in frame that goes on the upper, left and right edges.

Am I correct in thinking this is the fame in question?

Pelican Parts - European Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche • BMW • Mercedes • Volkswagen • Audi • Saab • Volvo • MINI

FVD Brombacher Online Shop - 94455954302 - Windshield-frame 944 85-87 -

Sure looks like you can buy it separately....... Most are of the opinion that this type of work should be left to the "professionals", but late 944 windshield expertise is probably like hen's teeth, what with all the glass glass guy f-ups I've reads about. Well, at least it's on their dime.

Hopefully someone can chime in with some constructive advice. Being the only bread winner in the family, having a small baby, and the fact that I was laid off for half of last year, makes stacks of cash for the 944 quite scarce.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
You can do it yourself. Order a new rubber from our host. May take a while as these are nos from Germany,excellent quality and has adhesive inside to stick to windshield frame. Get a used windshield and tube of urethane sealer. The hardest part of this will be removing old windshield and cleaning the frame. All you need is piano wire and a scraper or wire wheel on drill. Start at the top and pull wire across top and down the sides and pull glass out and down. After cleaning frame put the rubber on and a bead of sealer in between rubber and edge of frame(pillar). Put enough sealer for glass to stick to. The new rubber will keep windshield hight perfect. Clean glass edges for good adhesion. Use some masking tape strips to hold in place for a day. Remove tape and put your trim rubber on. Use weather strip adhesive if needed . Cheers
Old 12-20-2014, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage

Some glass shops do a poor job because they don't use a new rubber and try to level out glass with sealer.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome. Thank you.
I got the glass from a wrecker. Came out easily enough. Looks like it was a poorly installed aftermarket windshield, but it does have the built in antenna. Unfortunately the bonded on plastic frame wasn't bonded on, and crumbled in many pieces.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
That's ok,you can do without the original plastic around the glass. That's for the outer molding lip to fit into. I don't believe these are available. Not sure if a new glass comes with it. You can use weather strip adhesive or sealer to hold outer molding in place. You should use a new rubber on windshield frame for a water tight seal and quality fit and finish. It's not worth saving $100 to do the job without it. Also clean windshield edge with a wax silicone remover or proper adhesion promoter for glass.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I know I'm resurrecting an old one, but does anyone have some good pictures of replacing the windshield? I want to know what I'm dealing with before I take it all apart. This thread gives some good detail, but any other advice would be great! Thanks!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I havn't gotten around to installing that windshield.
But I don't think I can visualize this..... the rubber, is basically a bulb seal, right? So do you put urethane sealant between the rubber and windshield, or just around the rubber built up high enough to reach the glass.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
There are two rubbers listed in the parts manuals - one goes below the windshield and the other goes on top of the windshield - The lower rubber that attaches to the windshield opening and the glass rests on is a must, the outer rubber is best substituted with a good grade of silicone sealer. Place the lower rubber, place the glass on this. Then silicone the whole edge of glass to body around the outside of the glass. Insert the outer frame in place and wipe off the extra sealer. Would not hurt to have a bead of sealer around the inside of the outer frame...wipe off excess sealer - then let the whole installation sit for several hours so the sealer will cure...

BTW: Do not forget to connect the wind shield antenna wire to inside connection - If you wait to connect it up from inside the cabin after the windshield is in place it's a #%7Bit$@.

Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word

Last edited by Cocacolakidd; 11-06-2015 at 11:55 PM..
Old 11-06-2015, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: