Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1984 porsche 944 running lean?

Hi, my name is matt and I'm 17, I just bought my first car a couple months ago, on october 31st to be precise and ive noticed my exaughst smoke is a lot thicker than most 944s I've seen. It smells give, but I'm a little worried coolant is getting into the combustion chamber and being burned. The only other thing I could think of it being is the guy who owned the car before me put VW GTI injectorsin changed the fuel pump so could it just be running lean?
First image is at idle 800 rpm
I cant upload the second image right now as it is in png format, But please does anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-24-2014, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

White smoke - antifreeze
Blue smoke - oil
Black smoke - fuel

Start with the basics. Check the oil and the coolant and see if there is mixing. Oil in your coolant overflow and white exhaust smoke is indicative of head gasket failure. Coolant in your oil is indicative of the 944 plague- oil cooler seal failure. Follow up with a compression check.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It seems as far as I can tell it only runs that much exaughst whilst being bellow operating temperature, ill start it up tomorrow morning and go for drive to the gas station to get some gas and warm it up, compression tests yield correct numbers, no oil in the coolant overflow and no coolant in the oil. Do you think it could be just cold? I am replacing all my seals down to the head gasket. Timing, balance belts, water pump et cetera et cetera. I'm getting all my fluid changed at the porsche dealership for the first time because I dont know any of the history of this car besides that the injectors are from a vw gti and the fuel pump was changed. So if anything wrong they're more likely to catch than I am

Old 12-24-2014, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
944 , coolant leakage , lean , porsche