Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to the timmer
softening my ride

Ever since I got my 944 n/a back in February, the ride has been harder than I'm used to. I'm not into racing but rather a comfortable ride with the option to accelerate from 60-80mph faster than you can blink.

My question is there a way that I can easily adjust my shock absorbers to 'absorb' typical roadway bumbs better?

thks,
-timmer

Old 10-16-2002, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JH924S
umm maybe a turbo with a worn out suspension would help just jokin. if u have adjustable shocks like koni you can adjust the stiffnessto your prefrence but if its a stock setup i dont think u have much options
Old 10-16-2002, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The brand and size of tires can have a lot to do with it.

Adjustable shocks can be softened.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-16-2002, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My shocks are completely worn out and my car still has a harsh ride. All my old car mags considered the 944's ride to be rough and one of the car's worst traits. I don't think the suspension design can altered for a smooth ride (say, Accord/Camry-like), but then again probably not many 944 owners have tried. Later 944s, with their aluminum suspension pieces, are supposed to have a better ride than early cars.

p.s.- this weekend I'm installing new Bilsteins!!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
OK, I'm going off on a tangent here, but what changes were made to the 968 suspension? I ask because everyone seems to say that the 968 rides a lot smoother than the 944 series.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 10-16-2002, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I think 968 suspension is basically the same as late 944. I have a 944S2 and have uprated the suspension to be stiffer and the car is also lowered about 1". I do not find the ride at all hard. If anything I would go for harder but is difficult to uprate the rear suspension without major work so I am going to leave it for the time being. The alluminium suspension components used in later 944 definetelly contribute to the smoother ride. Also later cars are heavier which also contributes to smoother ride.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Have you checked to see if you have a seized strut?

Makis,
I have a set of rear coilovers i will sell you cheap to stiffen up that rear end. Only 2 bolts per side; couldn't be easier =)
87 944(sold)
87 951
88 951
Turn up the BOOST!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 951carter

Makis,
I have a set of rear coilovers i will sell you cheap to stiffen up that rear end. Only 2 bolts per side; couldn't be easier =)
Thanks for the offer. I have already coil overs but have removed them because I cannot lower the backend anymore without indexing the torsion bars. And indexing the torsion bars looks difficult DIY. I am using standard shock and torsion bar at the rear lowered as much as it can go from the adjuster nut. I am using coil over in the front with 200 lbf spring rate. The car feels balanced even though the rear is standard and the fronts are about 50% stiffer.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 951carter
I'll assume you're talking to me.

My shocks are old and soft, my car is acually "floaty". Still the ride is harsh, but I don't think the struts siezed.

BTW, my struts/shocks have never been replaced and the car is nearly 20 years old. My dad is the original owner.

I swaped out the thermoswitch today. Bilstiens are going on tomorrow! I'll keep you updated.

Old 10-17-2002, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: