Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy 944 Torque Tube Rotation?

I'm trying to take off the clutch housing to get to those damned reference sensors (they won't come out, I imagine that the lack of a spacer allowed the flywheel to chew one up and made it so that it won't slide out upwards, so i've resorted to taking the plate itself off). So begins the process of removing the transmission.

To start off i'd like to point out how incredibly difficult it is to find the 12 point spline bits necessary to remove the axles from the transmission. They don't seem to sell them in any store, so I had to order them online.

I got every single bolt off of the transmission but ONE. On the torque tube, the sleeve that clamps on has 2 allen bolts. In every picture I see of torque tubes, both of the bolts are beautifully aligned so that you can access both of the bolts from the bottom dust covers without a hassle. Mine on the other hand, are on complete opposite sides of the torque tube, facing opposite directions, making it impossible to access both at the same time in its current orientation. The bolt towards the front of my car was exactly where the pictures depicted it to be, however (peeking out from the circular hole that has a dust cover/cap).

My question is, how do I rotate the torque tube to gain access to the other bolt? Everyone talks about "rotating the torque tube" as if it's common sense but I haven't the slightest clue about how to do that. It surely doesn't rotate with the force of my hand. Please tell me how to do this so I can end this terrible process lol

Old 12-30-2014, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
Have someone press down on the clutch, you can then rotate the torque tube by hand.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 12-30-2014, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
Have someone press down on the clutch, you can then rotate the torque tube by hand.
You do not understand how thankful I am that you told me that lol. Since i'm doing this all alone it didn't even occur to me to depress the clutch pedal before I tried rotating it. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

LOL

posted this in your reply to that other thread. and I think what we are talking about is rotating the drive shaft inside the TT so you can get at both bolts.

may have to rotate the TT to slide backwards so those big flanges get past the sway bar.

and as I posted to your reply to that other thread, you may not be able to get the clutch bell housing off with those sensors in. they go through holes in the bell housing.

I plan to notch my bell housing when I get off to avoid that in the future. but actually hope I dont have to do this again for a LONG time.

good luck.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

PS. I used a piece of wood the right length to hold the clutch pedal down. push pedal down and wedge against the seat.

yea... working along adds to the challenges.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Plus one on the long stick
or you can turn the crank with a large socket

Old 01-09-2015, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: