Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

HELP! Anyone familiar with this clutch?

I was hoping someone here could help me identify exactly what I have here and if it is any good. It is for a 1986 944T. The box says this is a Sachs KF24801. But the PP says Sachs SPEC and it doesn't look like any KF24801 pic I can Google. There are small grooves in the PP also, but I don't know if that is normal wear. The clutch disc looks something like a SPEC Stage 2, but there are no markings on it other than the SPEC sticker. The Flywheel side of the disc (spring side) is very thin and the PP side thick...see pic. Is that normal for this type of disc? Disc measures about 8.50 mm all the way around.

See attached pics.

Last edited by tchudy; 01-12-2015 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-12-2015, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

Better pic of the disc

This one is a little clearer.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

I got an educated opinion from a from a friend of mine who tells me that this clutch kit looks to be in good shape. He recommended that I de-glaze the PP & FY a bit before I install.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I don't know much about that clutch, but I would be leary about putting a used clutch on a higher powered car like your turbo. The clutch in the pictures appears to be in good shape with decent thickness on the pads and no grooving in the disc, but for the amount of work that a clutch job takes, I would only ever mount a new unit. I understand that people do successfully mount and use pre-owned clutches without knowledge of how old it is, and how it had been treated by the prior owner......Good Luck !
Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
That's a fairly common clutch design from SPEC. 6 puck sprung is a street/strip clutch. Looks lightly contaminated on the face of the disc pads. Dribbly rear main seal or too much grease on the TOB during the last install perhaps. Clean up the pads with a scrub pad and brake parts cleaner until wiping with a paper towel comes clean. You'll see it brighten up a lot.

It looks very lightly used on the pressure plate surface - I believe I can see machine marks so this is barely broken in. I would de-glaze with roloc disc or sand paper lightly. Wipe it all down with brake cleaner until pristine as well.

Inspect it all closely for any cracks including the straps and also fingers on the pressure plate. If it checks fine then I wouldn't hesitate to use this clutch but then again I'm not paying anyone to do the work.
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 01-13-2015, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

Thanks for the reply guys.
Lapkritis...I followed your advice & cleaned up the parts to make sure there was no damage...all looks excellent. Roloc'd the PP as you suggested and it looks like new. Will be installing after I get my flywheel back from balancing. Finishing my rebuild of the torque tube...that's quite a job.

Cheers!
Old 01-14-2015, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Don't forget to replace the pilot-bearing at the end of the crank while you're in there. And the rear main-seal.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

Yep...thanks!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: