Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Scribe the cross member?

Greetings everyone,

Iím going to tackle the motor mounts very soon and have researched everything I can find on doing the job. Will be interesting to see if it is any worse than swapping the transaxle, CV axles and struts.

The one thing that is puzzling me a little is ďscribing the cross memberĒ. I am very mechanically inclined, but canít picture in my head what is being described. I understand marking it so you can line everything back up. Question is where? I havenít pulled the belly pan yet to take a look at everything.

Anyone have a good description of what to mark and where to mark it? Just want to get an idea of what to look for when I get under the car. I'm sure it's very simple..which at times are the things I find the most difficult.

Car is an '86 NA with what appear to be the original mounts.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2015, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you use a scribe/sharp thingy to basically trace the crossmembers position against the body of the car...not on the crossmember itself,
Old 02-03-2015, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Not sure why scribing is needed. You can lift the engine enough to replace the mounts, without removing or fiddling with the crossmember. From below, use a 2x4 to spread the pressure from a floor jack across the oil pan; from above with an engine hoist also possible. Lift as little as necessary to r&r the mounts. Some techs will shorten the new mount stud a little to make the job easier.
http://www.catellusengineering.com
https://www.facebook.com/catelluseng/
Old 02-03-2015, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Agree with Kevin's comments. No need to scribe.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
Its the chassis legs that need scribing if you remove the castor blocks, and the strut flanges if you unbolt them
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the information. I have a mental picture now of going around and marking where the cross member is before taking it loose. I'm going off Clark's along with postings here and RL.

Yup.. going to use a chunk of plywood or something similar to spread the weight across the oil pan.

Interesting to hear loosening the cross member is not really necessary. I will have to see what happens once I get under there and start the job. The less things I have to take apart is always nice.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
My 85/2 needed the crossmember loosened but there was no need for scribing just for that. Just tighten it back to spec and it goes back together like it was.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: