Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
944 Rod Bearing replacement

Hello - I am looking for guidance on replacing the rod bearings on my 944. It looks I need to remove the suspension cross-member and drop the oil pan. Is this something I can do in my home garage or is a lift required? Does any one have recommendations?
76 914 Cruiser
Old 03-05-2015, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I did it in my home garage. Check out clarks-garage.com
Old 03-05-2015, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You'll have to come up with a clever way of suspending the engine from the top, it's been done a lot.

Personally I would rather have the engine out of the car and do a complete overhaul while I was at it. It would give you to the opertunity to properly blueprint the crank and replace all of the seals. You could do main bearings and even piston rings if you wanted to as well.

Just my two cents, seems like if you have pulled the steering rack and lower crossmember there's just the bell housing between you and having the motor all the way out anyway
Old 03-06-2015, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjames View Post
Is this something I can do in my home garage or is a lift required? Does any one have recommendations?
Shade tree mechanics will just put a 4x4 on top of the engine bay and wrap a chain over the wood and somehow bolt it to the engine.

Back yard mechanics will go to Harbor Freight and buy an engine support.
1000 Lb. Capacity Engine Support Bar

Long time owners will have an engine floor shop lift/crane.

Read up on how to do a "perfect oil pan gasket installation"

GL
J_AZ
Old 03-06-2015, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
A couple of years back I had to replace the oil pan gasket. WYIT (while you're in there) dictates replacement of the rod bearings and inspecting the oil pick-up tube for cracks. I bought the Harbor Freight support bar and straddled it across the shock towers and connected it to the two engine hoist tabs on the engine. Using a block of wood under the front of the motor and a floor jack, I lifted the motor about an inch to preload the support bar. Then once it's tight, start removal of the pan, rack, and in my case, engine mounts. The bearings snap out using a screwdriver to lightly tap on the ends and visualize how they are oriented on the rod and cap. Plan on replacing the rod bolts as well. Pre oil the bearings with assembly lube or motor oil before inserting the new ones and be extremely careful that no debris gets on their surface or the crank/rod journals.

If you like, PM me with some helpful methods I've developed for getting the pan back in dry and secure.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
I would follow John's suggestion as I purchased the HF engine support a few months ago. I think I paid around $65.00 with all the crazy coupons they promote.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Old thread but happy to have any extra input on the turbo oil pan gasket/rod bearings as I am about to jump in.
thx
Mike
mdeltergo@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrplseven View Post
A couple of years back I had to replace the oil pan gasket. WYIT (while you're in there) dictates replacement of the rod bearings and inspecting the oil pick-up tube for cracks. I bought the Harbor Freight support bar and straddled it across the shock towers and connected it to the two engine hoist tabs on the engine. Using a block of wood under the front of the motor and a floor jack, I lifted the motor about an inch to preload the support bar. Then once it's tight, start removal of the pan, rack, and in my case, engine mounts. The bearings snap out using a screwdriver to lightly tap on the ends and visualize how they are oriented on the rod and cap. Plan on replacing the rod bolts as well. Pre oil the bearings with assembly lube or motor oil before inserting the new ones and be extremely careful that no debris gets on their surface or the crank/rod journals.

If you like, PM me with some helpful methods I've developed for getting the pan back in dry and secure.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87m491 View Post
Old thread but happy to have any extra input on the turbo oil pan gasket/rod bearings as I am about to jump in.
thx
Mike
mdeltergo@hotmail.com
Plan on spending a lot of time removing the crossover pipe. Lots of contortions, use lots of PB Blaster. And patience, patience!
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The HF bar looks pretty great but how often will it get used? I just did rod bearings in my 968 and used wood scraps to make a sturdy bridge and also used a jack under the bellhousing as a "suicide prevention device". I used a ratchet strap on to top to hold and lift the engine.
It'd be great to borrow that HF bar and I might look harder to borrow one or keep an eye on CL for a used one for my forthcoming 928 oil pan gasket job.

I do not think needing rod bearings should equal a complete engine rebuild, the rod bearings appear to be in a situation where they wear out early due to oil supply and a lack of a lubrication groove, which is probably reasonable given the narrowness and the stress on the bearing.

Van's video was great and his oil pan gasket trick worked well for me, or so I think. I have not put oil back in the engine yet. I was tempted to put compressed air into the dipstick tube to see if there was a big leak at the pan, the concern are the long stretches where the gasket is unsupported on the bottom, but did not and I have partially refitted the crossmember and engine mounts at this point.

I used zipties to hold the gasket to the pan otherwise and clipped and tugged these out when I had some bolts in. Some people use dental floss for this also or cheap steel picture hanging wire, a staple in my shop. I used non-hardening gasket sealer on the corners of the gasket also.

-Joel.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Diving in 911

Garage
I bought a HF hoist and have used it for tons of things around the garage. You might be able to find one on CL and just sell it when you are done if you don’t have room to store it. You might also want to find another pelican in your area that has one you can borrow.
1987 951 Turbo
1981 928 blk/blk 5sp
Old 03-01-2018, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I still have mine after not using it for a few years. I will be using it soon with my new resto project. It stores well in a corner on end in the garage.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

note the stampings on the bearing caps.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Good tip, and Van covers it in his how-to. The rod serial numbers are noted on the caps and must match. I also went down the line with an automatic centerpunch and made 1,2,3, and 4 dots in the RF corner of each rod lower pad. Of course then I only had one cap off at a time and you match up the notches also, so it's hard to screw it up but why risk getting them mismatched?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: