Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Michigan944

Garage
Porsche Crest Help!! 944 Suddenly Won't Start!! DME??

Hello, just pulled the 1983 944 out of storage today. She ran great and had no problems. I decided later tonight to take her to the store to pick up some birthday presents for my dad and it ran great on the way there, but when I came out of the store it would not start.
It just cranked over whenever I turned the key. I put more gas in it thinking it was out, but it didn't work. Upon further examination it sounded like the fuel pump wasn't coming on. It also didn't seem to be getting spark -- I didn't have my tester.
I was thinking it might be the DME (Fuel pump) relay. Does this sound right? Any Ideas?

Any kind of help will be appreciated
Old 03-28-2015, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sounds like the DME. Mine did the same thing. but I tapped on it and it started. I replaced and it's been fine since,Might make a jumper for it. Clark's garage shows how to put one together
Old 03-28-2015, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
probably the DME relay, I had the same issue with a car I just picked up today.

instagram @mhariush @technikercompany
http://stores.ebay.com/Techniker-Parts/
Old 03-28-2015, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Michigan944

Garage
Thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I think I have a spare one lying around somewhere. We just replaced that relay last year, so it makes me wonder how it could have gone bad so fast.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I always advise 944 owners to carry a spare DME in the glove box, they are not that expensive on Pelican compared to a tow.

Same with the saab's that use the direct ignition cassette a spare in the trunk is wise.

Hope the DME fixes it for you.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
I keep a brandee-new one in the glove box soon after joining this forum and reading all comments.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Michigan944

Garage
Replacing the DME worked. It fired right up. Will have to buy a couple replacements so I don't get stranded again.
Thanks again!!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
dme , fuel pump , relay , spark , start