Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

Smoke!

After having successfully changed my oil, I decided to take care of the air filter while I was at it. The previous owner had put in a K&N. I got the cleaner, cleaned it, and waited 24 hours to oil. I oiled it, and put it back on the car. Started the car, and after about 1 minute lots of smoke coming out from the engine area. Some of the smoke was in the exhaust too. It was relatively light in color. The lighting wasn't the best.

I have an oil pan gasket leak, but its only been leaking a few drops a day, and I'd barely ever smelled it, let alone seen smoke coming out from the hood. And I drove it after the oil change and no smoke. All I've done since was the air filter. Could all that smoke come from over-oiling the filter?

And I really wanted to go to the grocery store. I guess this is where the fun of Porsche ownership begins...

'86 951

Old 11-04-2002, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Umm, smoke under the hood could probably be from spilling the oil while trying to fill the car. I have no experience with K&N so I couldn't really tell you but I guess if you did put enough oil on the filter the car would pull it in and burn it in the chamber. There is enough vacuum created by the pistons to do that. It stopped smoking after awhile?
Old 11-04-2002, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Deep breath...

Doesn't sound like you did anything serious.

I would agree with Overkill - it is probably a combination of too much oil on the K&N and oil spilled from the oil filter (still wondering what Porsche was thinking when they put the filter there....)

Next time you change your oil, pop a hole in the top of the filter - AFTER you have drained the oil from the pan and you have removed the oil filler cap - otherwise oil will shoot across the car.

ENgine degreaser is also your new best friend - get the $.79 a can stuff from Wal-Mart - it works good and it is cheap - after you remove the filter get under the car and degrease it.

You will get some white smoke as it burns off - but it won;t last for more than a minute or two.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 11-04-2002, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Didn't you say you had a big mess when you pulled the oil filter? If that oil is still sitting on the exhaust manifold, it will spoke like a freight train until it burns off.
Just watch you oil level- you may be OK

Did you use conventional oil or synthetic?
In higher milage cars, synthetic usually makes any small leaks more noticeable.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Af- you beat me to it!
Old 11-04-2002, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title

The thing is, I changed the oil and then drove the car for like 3 hours without a hint of smoke. Then I parked it, took off the filter and cleaned it, waited a day, and oiled it and put it back, and then the smoke. And it came fast. And... it kept happening.

My only thought is this- I topped the oil off, and then drove it right away the first time when I got no smoke. So then it sat for 2 days. Perhaps, being so full of oil, it leaked more than I was used to for the next two days, and when I started it there was lots of oil to burn. Anyhow, the tow truck is coming in an hour to take it, and I'll probably have them fix the pan gasket while they're at it. I guess the thought of my car in flames made me crap my pants.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
good thinking.

Old 11-05-2002, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Dude, what the hell do you mean by topped the oil off? You put in the correct amount right? I think the right amount is 5.7qts if I remember correctly. Also, you shouldn't have got into your car and just drove it after filling. You should of ran the engine slow and re-checked the oil level a couple of times first. You have to get the oil moving through the engine first before you drive. Air pockets dude. You didn't look to see where it was coming from? Becarful, the mechanic might just want your leg for the work hes going to do.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

maybe his balls too..DOH!!
Old 11-05-2002, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

HA HA HA,... hmmm, 951 or da ballz? I'll take the,... 95,... bal,... thats a hard one! I'll leave that one up to you guyz
Old 11-05-2002, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

what do you mean 951 or balls.. it's a hard one... what's a hard one?.. dude!!.. hehehee...

Frank B
Old 11-05-2002, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

TRUE!!! I could always get another set of BALLS!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

suck my tail pipe

Yo Overkill, you can get new nuts.. they're called "NEUTICLES"I got em for my dog..(his name is Otto, he's a Rottweiler) I swear to god.. they're amazing.. he looks intact.. but his gun aint got no bullets in it. hehehe.. welcome to the 21st century..

Frank B
Old 11-05-2002, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

HA HA HA HA!!! Dude, I HAVENT SLEPT ALL DAY!!! LOL!!! YOU,... GAVE YOUR DOG FAKE BALLZ!!! I THOUGHT I HEARD IT ALL!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

My wife felt bad for him, not having any hangers.. hehee.. she so sensitive...I swear to god.. look for em on the internet..my vet thought it was a great idea.. only $700.00 and your dog won't look for his yams everytime he gets in the car, considering that would be the last place he'd remember seeing them..

Frank B
Old 11-05-2002, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

LOL!!! That is funny!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

nothing more depressing than a Rottie with no yams in the yambag.. it just isn't right.. hehehe...

Frank B
Old 11-05-2002, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
OMG. This is just too frickin funny.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

My friend's wife wears combat boots; maybe she should get a set too.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Get a set for your friend, too. It's fun for the whole family!

I mean that in the nicest possible way.

'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: