Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question How do you lower the rear of the car?

I'm not worried about any handleing changes, and no, I'm not trying to make this 'step one' in ricing out my 944, I'm just tired of pulling into my driveway, opening the garage and being mooned by my 944's and 924's rear ends. I've heard it's a pain to lower the rears of these cars..is this true? Has anyone got any helpfull hints?

Thanks!

2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T
Old 11-07-2002, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You can lower the rear about 1/2 to 1 inch fairly easily...there are several articles on the web that show you how. On the trailing arm, there are two large bolts, one of which is eccentric, which when turned will raise/lower the trailing arm. This part is easy to do.

Any height adjustments beyond this will require re-indexing the torsion bars, which is a BIG job.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gforces944
JR.

I've also wondered about this topic as well, and I have one question. The rear has the special "Weissach" axle. I'm not sure how it exactly works, but I do know that it causes camber to change when the suspension is under load. This is what aids in the 944's spectacular handling.

Would adjusting this trailing arm to lower the rear end have any undesireable side effects on the suspension?

An Air Force Fighter Pilot was asked, "What's it like flying the F-16?"
He replied, "It's like driving a Porsche!"
Old 11-07-2002, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, I'm no expert, (I can't even spell "Weissach") but if you lower the rear using the trailing arm adjustment, you will get a little negative camber...which could be a good thing.

I recetly installed 30mm torsion bars on my '83, and re-indexed them to lower the car to the max...(it's a stripped down race car now, and about 5 1/2 inches off the ground all the way around).

Afterwards, I had the car aligned, front and back, we used some figures from other 944 racers to set it up.

Toe is set to zero front and back.
Camber is -2.2 front and -2.5 back.

These camber settings would be a little to radical for street applications, but you can see that 944 racer's use a lot of negative camber in the rear.

...so a little negative from lowering using the trailing arm adjustment probably won't hurt. Just watch the tire wear.

Good Luck
Old 11-07-2002, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gforces944
Thanks,

That's good to know. What would be your suggestion to someone doing this at their local Porsche shop? Could the rear be re-aligned to a point to compensate for the change in camber?

I have a slight negative camber in my rears (-1.3) and there isn't a detectable difference in wear on my tires. I would like to keep it that way, should I decide to lower the rear this way (I don't think the SF region SCCA rules specify this as a modification to the suspension, so it might turn out to be in my favor).

An Air Force Fighter Pilot was asked, "What's it like flying the F-16?"
He replied, "It's like driving a Porsche!"
Old 11-07-2002, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You can adjust the camber at the front and at the rear on 944. So you can always adjust it to -1.3 if you want. And yes when the car is lowered the camber becomes more negative at the back but also at the front.

Old 11-07-2002, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: