Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to MPitt
New starter harness or new connector?

My new starter finally arrived, but when I went to take the old one off and one of the connectors on the starter harness broke off. Is it possible to put another connector on? Only the loop broke off. Or would it be worth the trouble to replace the whole harness? I also tried looking for one in the parts catalog but couldn't find it. Is it worth $80 wherever or would a used one be ok too?

Old 05-26-2015, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
you mean one of the eye connectors? Which one? Replacing the whole wire is a bit of PITA.

How's your soldering and crimping skills? It might be hard to find a replacement brass eye connector, but a regular one should do...

instagram @mhariush http://stores.ebay.com/Techniker-Parts/
Old 05-26-2015, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It was the smaller of the two positive ones. I'm OK crimping, soldering I still need to work on. I think I have some eye connectors leftover from a speaker kit, didn't think of them thinking I'd need something heavier duty. Thanks for the idea, I'll give that a shot.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The smaller connector is to activate the solenoid.

- cut off the old connector, leave as much wire as possible
- strip 1/4" insulation off
- clean off exposed wire-end, may need to wire-wheel/brush it to be shiny clean
- slide on 1" of shrink-wrap tubing all the way up wire as far as it will go
- crimp on new connector
- apply a little flux paste/liquid
- heat up with soldering-iron, 50w or higher
- apply solder to gap between iron & wire
- let cool
- slide heat-shrink tubing over connector, leaving only eyelet exposed
- heat with lighter

DONE!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just want to say big thanks again to everyone, got it started today buuuut didn't have one of the wires correct and the battery died. The new starter looked like it had an extra post and there was a little mixing around when it didn't initially start again.

So before I start/blow up my car again I want to make sure I have them right: The red/black wire is alone and the others are together? I put the broken one with the large black wire since they were that way when I took it off.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: