Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Water in Brake Lights

My 944 ('84 vintage) has developed a habit - both brake light lenses fill up with water each time it rains - only the brake lights - not backup or turn signals. The hoses from the hatch lock do not appear to be leaking, and I don't get any evidence of water in the back.

I attempted to check the seal from the taillight assembly to the body by removing the five or six bolts, but the taillight assembly did not want to budge.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-12-2002, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had the same problem. The cause was the drain tubes attached to where the hatch pins go in the latch. They were pluged and causeing the water that had no where else to go to run into my tail lights. Some some stiff wire and 30 mins later they were cleared and I had no more water issues with my tailights

1994 Grand Cherokee
6inch Lift, 33" TSL'S
Old 11-12-2002, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Possibly the lenses are cracked.

As to removing the lenses; yes they are "glued" in with an automotive black caulking. This does dry out and start to leak. Don't pull them out unless you have a package of this caulking.

The back of the car has a negative pressure and can suck in massive amounts of water through the smallest of openings!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-12-2002, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I changed my tail light assy cuz one of my lenses was cracked. They are in very tight, and, as socal said, glued in. I used a screw driver, but any flat thing will do, and wrapped tape around it so that if I felt prying off of a painted surface would help, I wouldn't scratch it. pry one side and then the other, work your way around pring on all 4 edges, it'll come loose. I used silicone sealant to seal the lenses back in, gobbing the black stuff in the lower places so that is was fairly even, some 'neric weather stripping with adhesive backs for screen doors n such and molded it around the tail light mating surfaces, and putting the sealand on top of it. put it in to where the nuts would get a bite, and then torqued them about 3 turns at a time so they get drawn down evenly. No leaks and I put a 2nd light assy. in so I have two tail lights on each side.

I use my old assy. as an elephant dung catcher.

'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
That's what the second light looks like! That's uncanny, Mr. Wilk.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

I "thought" the drain hoses looked open, but I'll recheck them. They were not tightly attached (slipped off easily), which would allow them to leak water if they are backed up. I really appreciate your advice.

No - no goldfish, and the photo was too funny! I'll get that printed and mounted on my wall of replaced parts (which, unfortunately, is growing larger, as I'm swapping out a leaking radiator this coming weekend (pinhole in the collector just above the fan switch).
Old 11-13-2002, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
There is sufficient tubing that you could just cut off the old and slip a "new" section onto the nipple of the drain.

These lenses do crack and separate from the reflector segment. Possibly enough to let the "pressurized" water in.

Are you sure there is a hole in the radiator? This is right below the small diameter overflow tube fitting between the top of the radiator to the overflow tank. I've seen a bad hose to nipple connection that looks like a leak in the side there as well as the large top hose connection. With the price of a radiator these days check this carefully.

What other parts have/are you replacing?
Old 11-13-2002, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I had removed the fan shroud to identify if it was either the main hose or the over flow hose - unfortunately it was indeed a pin hole in the metal near where the cooling tubes join. I considered soldering/brazing the hole, but chose to replace it as my wife likes to drive the car, and getting a new rediator was cheaper than listening to another "*%$# breakdown!" story. Pelican was kind enough to sell me one of their new ones.

I purchased the car in fall of '01 - it was the victim of a nasty divorce - the vengful wife sold it very cheap (not quite the $50 version, but cheap enough). It has a $4000 all Alpine stereo (yes, with 2 - 12 in subwoofers), but the clutch was gone, so I didn't get to drive it. Apparently, the car had sat in a garage for several years.

After replacing the clutch, it drove ok, but wanted to overheat. So I was going to replace the thermostat, but found that the belts were shot beyond belief (teeth missing), one of the balance shafts was missing the key and the pully was spinning (heavily lubricated by a leaking cam seal and leaking crankshaft seal), and it was still the old style waterpump (original), etc., so I had Red Line Motors in Purcellville, VA do that work and upgrade to the new style water pump. Also, parts of the wiring harness was faulty. The antifreeze reservoir was also bulging so I replaced that.

After getting the work done, it ran fine, but would loose about 8 oz of antifreeze. So instead of just continuing to add antifreeze, I let it idle in my garage with the fans off unti it got warm enough to track the leak. The leak only appears when it gets guite warm (3rd bar on the temp gauge) and enough pressure build up.

It was one of those impulse purchases (the deal was too good to pass up). So far, the repairs have equaled the purchse price, but I'm still below Blue Book value (not including the value of the stereo).

I had just built a garage large enough for 8 cars (4 bays wide, 2 cars deep) for the TR-6, Mercedes, Harley-Davidson XLCR-1000, Harley-Davidson Sturgis and 1952 BMW R-67/2 (motorcycle), and am using the back four bays for tools, shelves, lift, etc) and needed something to put in the front of Bay 2.

So that's my story.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by profssr2017
I had just built a garage large enough for 8 cars (4 bays wide, 2 cars deep) for the TR-6, Mercedes, Harley-Davidson XLCR-1000, Harley-Davidson Sturgis and 1952 BMW R-67/2 (motorcycle), and am using the back four bays for tools, shelves, lift, etc) and needed something to put in the front of Bay 2.
I'm suddenly very jealous. Any desire to adopt a 20 year old college student who needs space for his 914 and his '82 Honda Nighthawk 450?

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 11-13-2002, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

NO WAY!!!

I just "got rid" of my own 22 year old (Graduated with Honors in Mechanical Engineering from UVA, now doing R&D) - which is how I was able to afford the new garage.

Nice try though.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Where are you located?

Have pictures of your new "dog house"?

Did you put in lifts?
Old 11-14-2002, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by profssr2017
NO WAY!!!

I just "got rid" of my own 22 year old (Graduated with Honors in Mechanical Engineering from UVA, now doing R&D) - which is how I was able to afford the new garage.

Nice try though.
Can't blame a guy for trying. Congrats to your child. I'm in Finance myself and in the Honors college too (albeit at a different school). Your child obviously worked hard and has talent.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 11-14-2002, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

VA

Yes - will scan some

Hydraulic lift table

Back to work!
Old 11-14-2002, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

One more piece of pertinent information.

I work for an engineering firm (civil), usually doing forensics, research for claims analyis and other fun problem-solving activities. One day last winter, one of our engineers needed some help with a pavement design, so I gave him my thoughts.

Later, in April '02, I was asked to make the lovely trip into Washington, D.C. to evaluate the contractor's design for the parking lot at the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium (where the Redskins used to play) parking lot. Portions of his design were 3 feet above the existing grade. I had to redesign the vertical profile of the road, working with some survey equipment and the tailgate of my pickup, as there was a very tight window for pavement completion. No opportunity to sit in my office and conceptualize in CAD, as the contractor began to work immediately behind us. Less than two weeks later, the stone base was finished and ready for paving a 1.7 mile track.

In July 19 through July 21, 2002, the first ever Grand Prix race was held in D.C. (American Le Manns Series and Trans-Am) on the track that I helped to design. We got some very nice feed-back on the riding surface.

Although I did attend all three days, the viewing was much better on the tapes I made off of TV. The track does not have a good spectator vantage point, due to the barriers and safety fencing - we're trying to improve on that by relocating some of the grandstands.

In fact, the engineer who got me involved in this project just stopped by to remind me how many days were left until next years race. (The promoters have a ten-year lease for the track).

I've offered to straighten out the cork-screw at Laguan Seca, but noone seems to be listening.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
[QUOTE}]

So that's my story. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah! ANOTHER TR- 6 owner!!!!
Old 11-15-2002, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
the vengful wife
Can't live with them and you can't......(fill in the blank yourself )

Quote:
Mother of Pearl...Where the heck are you located 'cause I'm coming over...I can be your new adopted son
Old 11-15-2002, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Profssr2017, I went to UVA in the 60's and early 70's - mechanical engineering. Did you go there as well? Lived in C'ville for 9 years.

Old 11-17-2002, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: