Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Life for a 951

I know this is a pretty tough question, but what is the expected engine life for a 951 that has been well maintained and only street driven? Do they typically need rebuilds at 100K miles? 150K miles?

I would be particularly interested in hearing from anyone that has had to rebuild a 951 engine or has been able to reach high mileage without a rebuild.

Thanks for any info,
Drew

Old 11-20-2002, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I bought my car at ~179k miles, needed a head job. I did a complete rebuild, but it really wasn't necessary. I'm having trouble with a pressurized crankcase eventhough blowby shouldn't be significant (1/2psi off spec for a new engine for the compression tests, across 4cyl). But it's been ok with 16-22psi of boost for the last 5+k miles aside from the previously mentioned pressure issues. Engines are pretty tough if you let them heat up/cool down, change the oil, they'll last a very long time.
Ahmet
Old 11-20-2002, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

"I bought my car at ~179k miles, needed a head job"

Don't we all.

Turbo will be more prone to need rebuild due to the high temps associated with the engine. Even so, some on this board have claimed to have over 300k on their engines will only "minimal" maintance.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Mine's got 138K and does 7 - 8 DE's a year. It has a new head that is polished and ported and other go faster parts including a bigger turbocharger. It also has had new rod bearings done at 130K, last winter. I think these things are rather rugged if you do the maintenance and don't abuse them.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have heard of several going past 200k, and as has been mentioned..Warm them up and cool them down...I don't think some people take the time to get to know their Turbo cars...Or take the time to properly maintain them. If you do, you should get a very long lasting powerful engine!
Old 11-20-2002, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dougster
Warm them up and cool them down.
I've never owned a turbocharged car before. What's the routine for warming up and cooling down? Letting the car idle for a minute after highway driving, etc.?
Old 11-20-2002, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dogslovetrucks
"I bought my car at ~179k miles, needed a head job"

Don't we all.

Its been at least that long since my last one.
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 11-20-2002, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I never flog anything until it has been driven about 4 miles, and that is in warm weather. In figid weather, I go 8 miles. One of my cars has an oil temperature gauge. It takes about 8 miles in really cold weather to get its oil up to temperature. Like the 944T, it has an external oil cooler. Once, during my salad years, I internally crushed an oil filter by running high rpms with a cold engine. The oil cooler also sprang a leak a few weeks later.

As for shutting it off, I drive the last couple of miles with light throttle. You should ALWAYS hear your turbo water pump running when you shut the engine off. Mine will restart several times in hot weather before the engine cools. At the track, I open the hood after every run to assist cooling and to check to see if it is puking out any fluids.

Just another of my many opinions........
Old 11-21-2002, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I would think that with regular mantenance it should go well beyond 200K then after the top end is done I would think somewhere near 300K. This would be if the car is WELL maintained.
Fuchs
Old 11-21-2002, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Drew: I was taught to always wait until after the engine warms to at least the 1/4 mark...And as Lawrence mentioned, drive relaxed the last several miles before stopping before shutting her down...Too many people jump in a Turbo (Or any car) and just tear off on a cold car... NOT GOOD! Just like we don't want to run a sprint apon waking up...Get your car warmed up & ready first...Take care of her and she will take care of you!
Old 11-21-2002, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I've got over 160k on mine with little compression loss. If the maintenance is done regularly and the turbo car is driven properly, ie warm up and cool down, the engine will last a very long time. I had the head off of one that had over 130k on it and there was no ridge in the tops of the cylinders. You will expect to see that ridge on normal cast iron engines with that type of mileage. It is the area at the top of the cylinder that is untouched by the piston rings. In removing the pistons on a car with a high mile cast iron block, that ridge will have to be removed to get the pistons out. These engines are pretty tough if taken care of.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
least common denominator

Question

Does the owners manual recommend a particular idle/warm up time? When I was shopping for my N/A one of the sellers had just bought a turbo, he pointed to it across the street and said "I'm only selling because I just bought that, I have to let it warm up for (X) minutes, those are the longest minutes of my life!"

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: