Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
'83 944 Balance Shafts

I first would like to thank all of you for all the help I have rec'd
by just reading thru the pages.

I have an '83 abused 944 I loving call the "Bright Red Money Pit"

I could tell you all I've done to it but would be easier to say what I haven't done.

The question I pose I could not find in documentation I have. The upper and lower balance shafts have in/out play of a little greater than 1/8". Is this normal? Do the shafts center based on the crank pulley?

Is there a trick to removing the Camshaft Gear. I attached my gear puller and it slid out about 1/16" and stopped any more pressure I was afraid the gear would break. Are there any locks/keepers on the inside? Seeing as it would not come out I tightened back up now the retaining bolt hole does not line up by about 1/32". What did I do wrong? All I wanted was to bead blast the box.

has never left garage (yet)
Old 11-21-2002, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, there is a bolt in the camshaft that holds the sprocket in there, You will need to remove it before the camshaft pulley comes out.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 11-21-2002, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mike,

Did that. Only way to remove the nut.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Awww Hell...

The woodruf key is probably snagged on the pulley. PB Blaster is your new best friend!

Soak it down let it sit for a bit, then give the pulley a few light raps with a rubber mallet to try and work it loose.

Mike (AFJuvat)

(Did your friend sell the 928?)

Old 11-21-2002, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mike,

Soaked the heck out of it. I will try rapping with a mallet while applying pressure with the puller.

The previous wrench on it nicked 1 tooth on the cam gear. Should I replace it?

He really boogered up the balance shaft gears I am replacing.

I did start the car to test the lower end and it ran smooth as silk no smoke, knocks etc..

Consider the 928 gone. I get nothing but conflicting statements on the car. re: Yes it's sold, no it isn't, It's a 924 no wait 928 no wait again 968. I don't think the nut knows anything.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well, that depends - how chipped is the pulley, and how rough is the chip?

Soak it down again and let it sit - even overnight. Then rap it a couple of times.

He probably tried to remove the gears with a set of vice-grips - a "common" problem. Screws everything up.....

Damn, sorry to hear its gone, would have been an interesting one to play with for a while.

Mike (AFJuvat)

Old 11-21-2002, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

There was a 944 on ebay later back ( read on previous postings) that was up in Cocoa. Sounded like the "older than me" dude did not know what he had either.

Sounded like a mid life, balding, limp @#?!, kind a guy.

Check it out may still be there.

It definately looked 120% better than mine.

Old 11-21-2002, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: