Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

over my head #2/beat a dead horse

Thanks for all the good words guys. Ok. Can I beat the dead horse issue about the sunroof. Mine leaks, need to get that fixed. Looked up all of the post here and tech articles about the problem and the fixes. So off I go to solve the problem.

Key in the ignition, press sunroof switch and nothing. Key in the "on" position (fan gauges etc) press sunroof switch clicking from the sunroof motor area. No movement of roof. Pull out the carpet locate motor and track assy. Clicking is coming from the relays. I have no black cover of any kind. It looks like somone has messed with the motor. Oblong rusted job, looks like a running capacitor for a home A/C unit. So I removed the two long threaded bolts holding in place and slid off the outside. The armature looks ok, but I notice when I pull the cover off one of the contacts/brushes is inside the housing, as in not conected,not good. Well Since the motor is shot, I give the amature a couple of turns just to see if was froze up. Lo and behold the roof starts to come up in the back. So I keep cranking and I get it up high enough to see that the gasket is toast. But I still can not get the roof completly out nor can I now bring it down, bummer.

I saw in some post somthing about a "sunroof tool" back in the area by the motor. I have no such animal. Is there any way to get the roof out to replace the gasket and then put it back down? I have tried everything up around the "triangle piece" by the visors to get it to release to no avail.

Any help? I can shoot some digital pics if that helps.

So much fun so soon, gosh I can't stand it.

James
Old 11-22-2002, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Rennlist Member :)

What year is your car? The older ones had the tool, but no cover, the newer ones had the cover, but no tool. They also work slightly differently.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey,
If your cars and early one, I'll yoink the motor off mine for $15. Tool included, although I'd rather use a 10mm socket personally.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

stuck sunroof

it is a 19884 944. Tried pushing on the fron, nada. It's loose all the way around, but still hooked on the 2 arms in the back and the single point in the front. To the post about using a 10mm. Tell me how, thats about what I need at this point. I wnat to order the sunroof seal and replace it. I dont really care about opening and closing it all of the time it's a weekend plaything. Just need to get the roof sealed to stop the leak.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

roof

checked fuses, even replaced that one to be sure. I just got the trianglar metal piece off in the front. I can now "feel" the micro switches under that tab. when I press on it the relays in the back by the motor click. But still hooked. ?????
Old 11-22-2002, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No the rear hatch release doesn't work. man this is frustrating. I can't beleive there is no way to manually raise/ lower and remove the roof. I pulled down the headliner a little and can see the guide tubes and the white center junction box.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by goingboeing737
No the rear hatch release doesn't work. man this is frustrating. I can't beleive there is no way to manually raise/ lower and remove the roof. I pulled down the headliner a little and can see the guide tubes and the white center junction box.
If you manually lower the roof beyond the "down" position it shoudl pull the little lifter arms out of the roof, and release it. You can also generally manhandle those lifter arms enough to get them to free up & release the roof .
Old 11-22-2002, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

How do I manually lower the roof? I can not find anything by the motor assy to crank on. It's been mentioned about using a 10 mm or a "tool" The motor is shot, no way anything electric is going to drive on the cable.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

How do I manually lower the roof? I can not find anything by the motor assy to crank on. It's been mentioned about using a 10 mm or a "tool" The motor is shot, no way anything electric is going to drive on the cable.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I thought the "nut" on the center of the motor was spark plug tool size.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-22-2002, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have no nut. (so true at this point) There is a small adjusting screw I thought was for the clutch tension. But nothing the size of which you speak.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I have only the later model unit that I sold to refer to. My 83 is manual. I leave it up most of the time. Unless it rains.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Success

WELL ALRIGHT!!!!

The pics saved the day. I had to really clean out where the adjusting screw came out of to see the little indents for the tool. I don't have the tool, but a 1/4 inch flat blade did the trick. Roof went down like a charm.

Now, next question(s), since this works manually, I take it the gears are not stripped?

I still need to get the roof out to replace the seal, I should be able to drive it with the screwdriver to the complete open position and remove it,,right?

Wow thanks again for the pics/help, I can at least drive it and play with a couple (hundred) other things tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
Make sure all 4 roof drains work. It can cause a leak even with a new seal.

FR Wilk
http://944dme.tripod.com
http://early944.tripod.com
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1989 Red Devil F440
Former: 1987 Porsche 944
Old 11-23-2002, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I like to use a bass guitar string. Flexable and has the brass furel on the end to help.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
I like to use a bass guitar string. Flexable and has the brass furel on the end to help.
Hopefully a used one...those strings are freaking expensive!
Old 11-23-2002, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Yes. In some cases very used. I fix acoustics as a hobby. Lots of used strings!

You can go to a repair shop and find piles.

The rear drain tubes for the sunroof go through the two rear side storage areas. Could have that extra quart or two of oil pinching the tubing.

Still if you are getting drainage that far down with the sunroof firmly closed you have a sunroof seal problem first.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Thanks yall,
Did the drain lines while it was off. I used a roll of "weed eater" line. It was stiff enough to get all the way through. The drains were OK, but the seal on the roof is shot. Looks like it has not been off or maintained in years.

Thanks again for all of the help. Roof goes off and on like a dream now with my 1/4" "porscheman tool" aka Craftsman screwdriver.

Beautiful day in Houston, cruising with the top off.

James
Old 11-23-2002, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by goingboeing737
Thanks yall,

Beautiful day in Houston, cruising with the top off.

James
Nothing like cruising topless!!!
Old 11-23-2002, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver

Nothing like cruising topless!!!
Yeah, I don't think I'd last 10 minutes going with the top off right now. 28F outside tonight.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: