Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to afx
Car starts then dies immediatly

I am having trouble with my car where when I try to turn it on it starts then just truns off. If I give it gas I can keep it going, but right when I stop giving it gas it will die. I checked the injectors, and the plug wires, they both work fine. I am not sure what else I should check. All the vacuum lines seem fine.

Http://members.rennlist.com/afx
Old 11-22-2002, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
So you can hold in a little gas -- kind of a high idle -- and it will stay runing. But as soon as you let off the pedal it dies -- doesn't idle.

Tell us all the things you've checked and fixed under the hood.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-22-2002, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

exactly.

I just finished rebuilding the top end after my timing belt broke. It started doing this and someone suggested that the timing belt was off a tooth, so I redid the belts and made sure they were fine and the problem still continued. I was thinking it was the injectors because one was leaking, I got a seal kit for them and it fixed the leak and the car still was not acting correctly. The next thing I did was get new plug wires, still no help. I also tried pulling a plug wire (#1 cyl) and ran the car with only 3 in, and there was almost no change in the way it acted. Then I did it with only #3 unplugged, same thing.

When I do give it gas to get it running it will run alright about 1500 rpms or so, but when I let it drop below 1000 it will backfire from the engine area and get really rough.

Old 11-22-2002, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
You will have to check the usual: Vacuum leaks.

This is not easy. It's like taking everything rubber fitting and hose off the engine and reattaching them to the right places. Look for cracks in or just a not completely attached duct tube. I've found that it's easy to NOT get the bottom of the large rubber duct tube over the lips on the bottoms of the AFS and the throttle body. Also there is a large fitting/boss on the bottom of this duct that can crack around where it meets the large tube/duct.

Also could have some of the smaller vacuum lines run to the wrong locations especially on the throttle body. For this it's best to have a schematic of the vacuum system. What year/model again? I may have one I can post.

Last the throttle body switch. This has to actuate just as the throttle closes or you get really wierd idle problems.

Injectors can "leak"; suck air past the seal into the intake manifold but this usually does not result in a rough idle. The amount of air as to be considerable.

As you have removed the intake to do the top end you did replace the gasket to the intake manifold. I had an intake that was slightly warped on the back end and had to use two gaskets to get it to seat and seal.

Check for a vacuum leak. Sometimes you can find these by using a propane torch (unlit) and probe around all the hose fittings till the car idles smooth. Just watch out around the sprark plugs!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-23-2002, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Alirght I will check all that out today... mine is an 85.5 (later model). That would be really great if you could get a schematic of the vacuum lines. Thanks for the suggestions

Last edited by afx; 11-23-2002 at 01:54 PM..
Old 11-23-2002, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
This one time I had a stupid ********* 1978 Ford Ranger (when they were big) and to say I hated it would be like saying black is a tad off-white. One morning I went out to start it and it fired right up (one of the few times it did, so I should have known it was up to no good), and then immediatly died. "Hmmph!" sez I, and turn the key again. Fired right up and then immediately died. "Hmmmph! Hmmmph!" I repeated. For the next hour and a half, we took turns firing right off and dying and "Hmmph"-ing and pulling wires and tugging fuses and crawling around on the not so warm ground and peeing on it's tyres, cursing, swearing, and threatening to no avial. In desperation I turned the key on and she fired right up and I held the key on determined to grind the bendix off when I noticed that as long as I held the key on, she'd run, and if I let go of the key slowly, it'd run, but when I just let jo of the key like I usually do, the momentum turned the key off just enough to kill the motor.

And you wonder why I wish a pox on fords and Ford engineers.

'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: