Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pictures of my 944

For all yall that have helped over the last couple of days since I got my 944, I thought I'd get a few pics up on the web. Some of ya saw it on the ebay ad with the other rims. He took those off and put on the stock fuchs. You can see the dash cover is not on too well, and the "high water" stains from the leaky sunroof. That's the sunroof and it pouch on the ground. I'll try and get some more as I go along.

Thanks again for everyones input & help thus far.

Paste this link into your browser to go to the pictures.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bgow1987990

James
Old 11-23-2002, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Kandid
Very nice body
very clean interrior too,
but leather seats looks different

I think it's cookie cutters, not fuchs
look at my 84 with fuchs
84 944

Last edited by Kandid; 11-23-2002 at 06:53 PM..
Old 11-23-2002, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The only water marks I think I see are in the drivers side against the center.

Right?

If this is where most of the leak is it's not necessarily the sunroof.

You may have a hole through from under the dash into the front battery/blower/windshield wiper area. And the drains from that area are plugged with leaves and other trash. This could be an intentional hole from an alarm installation to just the seam sealer drying up and cracking.

If your windsield wipers are real slow and growl a lot then the motor and gear box have been flooded too.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-23-2002, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I stand corrected. I was wondering about that. Thought people were interchanging "fuchs" and "cookie cutter" for the same rim. The thing about the seats is why I posted the question about leather interiors. They kinda look like porsche seats, but not really like others I've seen in 944's.

James
Old 11-23-2002, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

SoCal,
The worst water is actualy behind the pass seat. Althought the entire car was wet to some extent. The discoloration on the drivers side is from some Porsche floor mats that were dark brown and bleed into the carpet. I checked the area around and under the battery. All appears fine. No corrosion or holes. No obvious holes in fire wall.

James
Old 11-23-2002, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
OK.

Is there a seal at all around the sunroof as it sits on the grass?

Doesn't look like it.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

SoCal,
Well I guess you could call it a seal...it's not much. Very compressed, kinda has some felt on it.

James
Old 11-23-2002, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
A new seal does have a flocked surface but is quite thick and you almost have to force the sunfoof down into the recess for it. There are traverse tensioners in the sunroof to "shrink" it side to side to get it to fit right. None front to back.

Was the passenger side front seat belt wet where it was rolled up in the side panel?
Old 11-23-2002, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

SoCal,
No the seat belt does not seem to have ever been wet. I am pretty sure the water was comming from the sunroof. There is probably a 1/4 gap where the seal should be. This thing that's left on there now is so dried out and compressed. The rubber/vinyl edging on the car was pretty dry also. I used some vinyl and rubber dressing to moisten it up a bit. I use these products from a company call "Griots Garage". Some of the best stuff I've ever used. This stuff, unlike armorall will not dry out rubber or vinyl, great for dashes. Their stuff is kinda pricey, but everything I've ever got has been top notch.

James
Old 11-23-2002, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
You have ordered a new seal? The one that fits on the sunroof.

The vinyl clad item on the car is just to trim off and hold the headliner in place. It's not really a seal even though it may contact the sunroof when it's closed.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

SoCal,
Yes sir I have. Along with the "944" emblem for the rear deck lid, and the "Porsche" lettering that goes above the bumber. I had a weak moment (and 14.00 left) and got a "Porsche" license plate for the front.

I have the car resting well now in its own climate controled room (the door from the house opens into the garage..) The PO had it outside and we got like 3 feet of rain last month. You would think,,,gosh my roof leaks, maybe I should throw a tarp or somthing on top of the car....duh...

I still have a feeling like I might sell it though and look for like a 86 or 87. I like that dash layout better and I am still not to sure about the mechanics of this car. The paint is not a Porsche color and the paint job is just so so. The PO "claimed" all of this work, but then couldn't find receipts when I went to pick it up.

I don't know??????

James
Old 11-23-2002, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting. Just a few days in a fairly used 944 and you're hooked.

I like the dash of the newer 944's but not all of the added gizzmos.

Still have the water leak issues with the newer ones.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Oh I've been hooked since my brother brought home a brand new 924 many years ago. I then bought a VW Sirocco, dubbed "poor mans porsche". I have always thought the 944 was the sexiest, best designed, right size sports car ever made. I just got a wild hair the other week and ended up with this one!!!!

James
Old 11-23-2002, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

SoCal.
Owe ya a thanks on a post from Aug on removing door panels. Had to service the window switches, and it's been done so many times by popping out the 2 gang assy that the cardboard in the door panel is history. Driving it home I pressed on the window switch and they pushed right into the inside of the door panel. I'm going to cut out a backup panel of thin sheet metal and glue it to the inside of the door panel so they have somthing to "grip" Could not figure how to get the latch assy off.

Your post had the answer...

I DO know how to search before I ask for every single question.

Thank you sir !!

James
Old 11-23-2002, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
The reason the switch assembly pushed through is that the door panel, compressed cardboard, has been really wet too many times. Possibly from very worn wiper seals on the outside.

Mine are on the verge of falling apart. Used super glue on the two switch opening last time I was into it. Thinking of some sort of laquer treatment for the panels next time I have to take them off. May have to remake them.

Kudos to your brother. What happened to his 924?
Old 11-23-2002, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

SoCal,

I'll wrap up this thread. MUST SLEEP...PORSCHE CAR Consuming my head......

Don't know what happened to the 924 traded in on some other vehicle I suppose.

Anyway, did the little job on the door panel/window switches. Worked out pretty good. Fashioned a backup plate out out thin sheetmetal. Attached it to the bolt on the back(of door panel) for the armrest support. When I inserted the switch assy it pulled up real snug. The hard part was getting the vinyl around the opening to behave. Did the best I could with the hot glue gun. Looks a heck of alot better and they don't push back into the door!!!

While I was knee deep in the door, I found a piece of rubber guide trim for the window laying in the bottom of the door. Found out it went on the forward track (verticle one by the hinge) Wondered why when I closed my door with the window down it sounded like the glass was gonna break. Cause ther was no guide on that part of the glass. Could not figure any good way of glueing/attaching it in the channel so I just put in and hope it stays. Gave all parts a little oil and sprayed in the bottom of the door with a little undercoating to retard rust. Smells funky, but it should be good to go.

Take care

James
Old 11-23-2002, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Congrats on your Porsche! Enjoy it fully!
Old 11-24-2002, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
NO! Don't get an 86 or 87, stick with the 84! The early cars rock. There has been much speculation on this board about whether or not the lighter 83s and 84s are actually quicker than the ppost 85.5 cars (the road test data seems to point in this direction).

Join our secret war against 85.5+ owners!
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 11-24-2002, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Those seats don't look too different from mine. I have a standard leather / cloth setup that came as a stock option in my 83 euro. Except the cloth centers, the seats could be twins of yours.

My two bits on keeping or selling... unless you're going to a turbo, your just going to end up with another 944 with a lot of "attitude." I've convinced myself that the smartest thing to do is stick with one, work on it until it's just as perfect as I want it to be, and forget about how it's just plain OLD and has quite a few odd habits.
For example: High humidity, wipers go while turning (just a poor connection in the steering column - something I gladly live with)
At exactly 75 mph, the right front wheel / tire / assembly vibrates - it isn't bearings, it isn't the rim, it isn't the strut mount... just my car's ATTITTUDE.

Even if / when you get yourself a newer model - I PROMISE - it will little issues of its own.
1997 Sentra (unclaimed!)
Old 11-25-2002, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
We have a filter here at the courthouse, therefore I can't access the pic page.....will when I get home.

Wondering what the seats look like is intriquing......I want to see em.
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 11-25-2002, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: