Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Electrical Short

When uncovering the '83 944 after it sitting for one week, the battery was drained and attempting to jump the car did not work. When charging the battery using an other car with jumper cables, could not get any electrical items to work.

I have a new alternator in the car, replaced the wiring harness from the alternator to the starter, replaced the clutch slave cylinder.

Also, when removing the battery from the mix and putting a guage on the red and ground leads, the OHMs meter shows a reading as if something is grounded.

Any ideas?
Old 11-25-2002, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Process of elimination.

unplug alternator and check for grounding condition. If yes, plug alternator back in and unplug starter (I think here) and check for grounding condition again. If yes, plug sarter back in and check the routing of the new harness (near heat source?).

Do you have any auxillary appliances (radio,amp, lights,etc..) installed direct?
Old 11-25-2002, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply. Will attempt sequence you suggest this Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to resolve the problem and it's just a simple connection.

I reviewed the wiring harness and will attempt to remove the starter and trace each wire individually. On the 83s positive battery cable, you can disconnect the lead that goes to the starter directly. I should be able to test the two red leads that connect the rest of the car.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I disconnected the thick cable from the alternator and was able to start the car.

So I believe the condition is either with this cable or something in the starter.

When I purchased the car, the cable (harness) from the alternator to the starter was all melted.

I assumed the alternator shorted out, but now I'm thinking something else is causing the short.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2002, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think it is your alternator. Ohm from where the cable plugs in and to ground to see if you get a reading.

Was the little wire going to the dash light from alternator melted?

drew1
Old 12-02-2002, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When I purchased the car, the wire harness from the alternator to the starter including the blue wire from the alternator to the firewall was shot. I replace this harness with a new one. When I did this, the alternator light on the dash was lit with no key in the ignition. This is a sign that the alternator is NG. I replaced the alternator, and everything was fine for two week.

I did have a problem with the pop-up headlights getting wrapped around the hood release cable. It is possible that I shorted out the headlight motor or diode in this motor.

I will unplug the wire to the headlight motor, retest and see what results I get. If I am able to reconnect the red (heavy) cable on the alternator and am able to start the car, then I can assume it's the head light motor.

This is going to be a try this try that diagnostic phase to resolve this problem. Thanks for you response. I'll re-check the alternator and let everyone know what I find out.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: