Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Question radiator crack repair

I am curious to know if someone has ever "sealed" a crack in the radiator where the plastic meets the metal. If anyone knows of an epoxy or another material please let me know.. I.. have a crack.. on the bottom of my radiator...

Frank B

Old 11-25-2002, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I tired to repair the side tank on mine. No luck here, these radiators run hot! And it did not hold.

2 Weeks ago I had an extra just hanging out in my garage, sorry. Maybe someone else has one for you.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 11-25-2002, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
You would think that there would be something, and epoxy will hold for a little while, but it'll leave ya stranded so yer better off doing what scott did.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Try J-B Weld or for a faster setting time use J-B Kwik Weld.

I have used both. JB Weld is easily machined and holds a tapped hole easily.

J-B Kwick has worked on the last half dozen radiators I've done. You will have to work fast. Do not run engine hot for 24hours.

NOTE: Clean all surfaces before using w/Alcohol
has never left garage (yet)
Old 11-25-2002, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My friend had a big crack in his radiator out of his 88 mazda MX6 Turbo. First we tried JB Weld and didnt work, So we put ALOT on it and about 3 inches all the way around the crack and still didnt hold very long. So we drilled holes in the ends of the cracks so it would stop the crack from getting any bigger and tried Fiberglassing it. We put 3-4 layers on there and it still didnt hold after about a week from getting into turbo alot. It didnt give him problems if he drove it real slow, just if he was getting into the higher RPM's and hitting Turbo. He eventually just bought a new one off Ebay. But using fiberglass could be a temporary solution until you buy a new radiator.

-John
Old 11-25-2002, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The plastic sides are crimped on with an o-ring. Some radiator shops have been successful in pulling the sides and replacing the o-rings. If I had an extra radiator that was leaking past the o-ring I'd give replacing the o-rings a try.

You could get a bunch of damaged 944 radiators from a few shops and possibly canabilize them into a good one.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-25-2002, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have a 1984 944 radiator sitting around with thermo switch threads stripped (dummy me! ). If you think you can fix it then you can have it for shipping charges. It's only been in my car for about 1 1/2 years.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

you guys are awesome.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am losing about a quart of fluid every 2 weeks..I can get a radiator from a shop near me.. but they run (new) $400.00 that's not including labor.. so, I may just use this one until after the holidays, then replaceit when I do the belts and stuff. Divezic.. thanks very much, that is a very kind gesture, but my situation isn't in need of immediate repair, and I'd feel like a fraud if I accepted your freebie. But, maybe someone else may need it in the future.

Thanks everyone,
Frank B
Old 11-25-2002, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Pelican has a radiator for $255.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
You can get new radiators on ebay for about $170 right now. HRE Racing is selling auto for $150, but gotta get the plugs? They say will work on manual as well.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Have an auto in my manual right now. Don't need the plugs for the auto cooler side.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
For $150, it's a good deal. Hurry

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873118292
Old 11-26-2002, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

I'm going to buy one from Pelican parts...thanks Socal.. I appreciate the advice..

Frank B

Old 11-26-2002, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: