Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What size exhaust tubing on an NA?

I'm having my supertrapp put on next week. Should I mess with the stock tubing? I hear it's 2 1/4, which should be good I'd think. I only plan on chipping it, have the intake done already, and maybe a header and cam someday. So while I'm there, should I upgrade?
Thanx,
Greyson
Old 12-03-2002, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

2 1/4 is good with fairly stock motor. If you go to bigger tubing try to get rid of some bending dropping under the swaybar & cv axles. Every bend is a pressure drop & reduces flow.

As far as Super trap, I put one on & took it off wife's 924t. Soot from richness clogs up the diffuser things Think they are more hype than power. Was talking about it with an I stock, 924S PCA racer who had his car rear wheel dynoed. The Supertrap had less power than a stock muffler.

drew1
Old 12-04-2002, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hmm..thats not too comforting. I mean, after all the cars I've owned, and exhaust hasn't really made a difference I could tell. But I would like some growl. I heard that the discs are what make or break any power loss or gain in the Supertrapp. Anyone care to elaborate? My stock muffler has a hole in it right now though, so anything seems better. What kinda sound does the supertrapp give?
Thanx,
Greyson
Old 12-04-2002, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
You should enlarge you exhaust pipe anymore then it already is,... you might lose HP if you do so. Alot of NA's use the backpressure to gain HP. If you enlarge it you will lose the backpressure and then the HP. Ask the other guyz here for the details, they know more about it thanI do.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally posted by overkill
You should enlarge you exhaust pipe anymore then it already is,... you might lose HP if you do so. Alot of NA's use the backpressure to gain HP. If you enlarge it you will lose the backpressure and then the HP. Ask the other guyz here for the details, they know more about it thanI do.
Oh my goodness! The youngin's are are using physics and common sense to tune their car's... were all doomed!

I have a supertrapp on my four stroke dirt bike, ran it with the straight pipe just for fun... loud as heck but if anything seemed to lose a little power.
However you can "tune" a supertrapp by adding/removing disks.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by overkill
I always thought that backpressure helped torque and not HP. More flow will give you more HP at WOT, but it will subtract from low end torque if I'm remembering correctly. This would make the car slightly faster at top end, but the car would feel as though it lost power since the low end torque is lost.

I'm just going by memory, anyone with more experience care to comment?

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-05-2002, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
I, too, had one on my ride......83 Honda XR 350R. It sure did make a difference, too!

I'm a bit preplexed, though. YOU want more growl? I thought this stock growl was simply awesome when I started running the car into the upper rpms.....I've had some friends tell me the love the sound of the car as it revs.....

Now, as far as youngins finally using the common sense the Good Lord gave 'em, you would only hope the riceburner owners would take note, eh?
83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 12-05-2002, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally posted by daveimme
I, too, had one on my ride......83 Honda XR 350R. It sure did make a difference, too!

I'm a bit preplexed, though. YOU want more growl? I thought this stock growl was simply awesome when I started running the car into the upper rpms.....I've had some friends tell me the love the sound of the car as it revs.....

Now, as far as youngins finally using the common sense the Good Lord gave 'em, you would only hope the riceburner owners would take note, eh?
Don't get it either, I LOVE the stock sound of my 944! even more that the "flat six" (heard one ripping up the street the other day)

My car passes smog so I know the cat is okay, maybe the muffler is blown out but sure sounds sweet to me.

daveimme, mine is a '80 XL500... need tires and a little carb work... imagine that with a straight pipe... POP-POP-POP
Old 12-05-2002, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: