Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

gas leak/smell help!

I have an 83 944 and when i drive there is an excessive gas smell. I also noticed a small gas leak on the ground if i fill the tank all the way up. Does any one have suggestions as to what my problem is?? any help would be greatly appriciated.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Gas smell could be from running too rich, or a cracked fuel line. The leak could be from a cracked fuel line, or your topping it off and it's draining out of the overflow tube. (below the cap )
2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T
Old 12-06-2002, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Sounds like you are leaking gas, reason being, when you accelerate you cause fuel to run through the line. Also when fuel is running through the line AND you are moving the fuel is then blown back onto the car and doesn't get a chance to driip or go away, it's probablly being blow under the chassis. I'd check there, but I wouldn't do it by Candle Light..

Frank B
Old 12-06-2002, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The gas tanks on the 944's, both early and late, have a vent hose that follows the large filler tube up to the side of the car. This hose on the early cars is the old woven fabric covered rubber and ages and cracks where it bends about 50 degrees to follow the filler up the side.

So if you fill up the car with this cracked hose it will leak as the gas shifts around the tank. Complicating this is the metal cover uses the same black tar sealing putty stuff that's used on the rear light lenses. This too ages and shrinks letting the gas smell into the lower pressure passenger area.

My cure is to get a small copper 45 degree elbow, cut the hose and inserting the elbow then clamping both sides. Beats the heck out of having to drop the transmission to drop the gas tank to replace the hose with the newer all neoprene design used on the later model 944's. Resealing the metal cover is a challenge too. Have to clean off all of the old sealer and lay an even bead of fresh tar putty.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-06-2002, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Maybe it's not too severe but I'd advise against driving it until you fix it. It's easier to replace the hose than your car or life for that matter.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 12-06-2002, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: