Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Unhappy Magic oil leak

Hey guys, I'm here trying to get a lead on the below occurrence before I tear the whole thing apart for something super specific or simple.

Car: 1988 944 N/A 96k miles

Back story: The '44 has a crack in the oil fuller tube and Just haven't gotten around to fixing it, also has a small leak around the oil sensor. Add a 1/4 quart of oil every 200-300 miles. New 5w-20 oil.

Scenario: Took the old girl out for a spin today, prepping it for the Auto-x coming up in a few weeks. Decided to lay on it pretty hard for the first time in a while. Ran beautifully up to about 5800rpm in 2nd then Roll white smoke out of the back suddenly. I laid off and immediately pulled off to see what was up. Found it dripping oil pretty badly, popped the hood fearing the worst to find oil coming from somewhere under intake on the drivers side. But from the different angles can't tell exactly where from. Let it sit for about 30min. Came back and the oil had quit dripping and a small outline of left over oil on the asphalt. Against my better judgement started her back up and she had normal oil temp/pressure and seemed to idle and rev ok. Drove it back to her parking spot (about 5 miles away) parked it and wasnt dripping a bit. The entire time the car acted completely normal, no weird pressure changes or noises. I also didn't run more than about 4000rpms. It's dark out now, but I'm super curious what that could have been. Anyone have this happen before? Is it blowing oil out of the filler at WOT I wonder?

Any leads will be great!

'88 944 N/A
Old 02-28-2016, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
this sounds like the AOS issue. You've stated the oil filler is cracked. A leak in that assembly will cause oil to be ingested into the intake. I would suggest replacing the AOS with a good one, including new seals.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

it is really a big vacuum leak and will eventually fill the intake with oil.

Oil Water Separator – Plyhammer's Parts

or

Porsche 944 NA 944NA Air Oil Seperator Fill Neck AOS | eBay
Old 02-28-2016, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Allow me to crash your thread - can the AOS be changed directly - or are there things around it that have to be removed? Like air box, intake...

I saw the Pelican article for 951's, is that a different beast?
Old 02-29-2016, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yes.. The intake will have to be removed to access the AOS on all 944 engines.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
plays with toy cars

Garage
Quote:
New 5w-20 oil
Off topic, but don't use 5W-20 in a 944....there is a lot of debate over "the best oil" to run, but at least run 0W-40. SAE 20 is way too thin, you're asking for trouble.

'86 951 - under construction
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/dto_garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=28374
Old 02-29-2016, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If where you live stays above freezing temperatures year-round, 20W50 dinosaur oil is what Dr. Porsche prescribed.

Cue the endless, pointless debate.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys, hoping to have the parts in by end of the week and see what happens.

'88 944 N/A
Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
20W50 dinosaur oil is what Dr. Porsche prescribed.
Agreed....exactly why I retrofitted carburetors and bias ply tires.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 03-01-2016, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
GO AWAY! Stay in Cali

Garage
I had the same issue with my '87 924S. AOS seals were a forgotten maintenance item. Change the seals,do the filler tube and seal and clean out your intake from the AOS to the intake manifold. Check your plugs for oil also. My intake was an oily mess. I almost mistook the smoke for a blown head gasket. John AZ posted an AOS delete sometime ago on another thread. I like the idea and when I win the lottery I'll cough up $250 plus for one.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcantrell View Post
Yes.. The intake will have to be removed to access the AOS on all 944 engines.
What is the process here on a NA car?, the entire intake or just the plumbing?

'88 944 N/A
Old 03-11-2016, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
The intake will have to come off. It's really not that difficult. There are a couple of hoses attached UNDERNEATH the intake that you have to get loose. Best thing is to get the intake loose so you can maneuver it to get to the clamps that hold the hoses on.

Disconnect the fuel lines and remove the fuel rail attached to the intake unless you plan on replacing the o-ring seals on the injectors while you have it apart.

It's really a pretty straight forward affair though. Start with the Air Box, Airflow Meter, and J-boot. Once you get those out of the way, you've got a lot more room to work with.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Use heavier oil for god's sake. We run mobil 1 10w40 in our 944- no issues.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
944 , leak , oil , oil filler tube