Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Old gas or no gas at all?

Hi All,

I am working on a no start on my 87S and am in the process of changing out my fuel pump. Has not run in over 6 years. Gauges don't work (separate post) so have no reference on fuel level.

Imagine my surprise when NO GAS came out from the bottom of the tank. Of note, there was a small pile (like a large pile of bird crap) of brown sticky syrup like stuff directly under the small rubber hose that is between the pump and the tank. There is also a small drop of said sticky syrup on the hose itself as if to confirm it has leaked and that old gas turns syruppy. The car is in the desert so there should be no humidity issues. Did I run out of gas in my driveway many years ago or did something else happen to the gas? To rule out a clog of some sort, I will shortly test the tank itself by adding gas in hopes it immediately leaks out my now open tank. There are very few times a leak is a good thing but I hope this leaks like crazy!

Thanks for your thoughts and experience.
2015 Charger Rallye SXT
Old 03-05-2016, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
After you do that, I'd recommend inspecting and replacing at least the hose that had the sticky stuff on it and the fuel filter. The pump may or may not work but if there's varnish on the ground and hoses, it could be in the pump as well. I'd also recommend having the injectors rebuilt by Witch Hunter of Duvall, Wa. or some other reputable entity. It's only $100 for the set and they do a great and fast job.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Excellent idea and thanks for the reminder about Witch Hunter. They did mine about 8 years ago. My S was a lot stronger than a buddies at the time. This was the only substantial difference that we could pin point.

Back to the fuel, I poured in about a quart and a half and nothing came out. LOTS of fumes though. Can anyone confirm that gas should pour out the bottom of the tank without the system being pressurized? Put another way, should I put everything back and charge the system or should I keep trying to rule out a clog or other issue? Still concerned about how/why the gas seemingly turned into syrup and leaked out!

Thanks!
2015 Charger Rallye SXT
Old 03-07-2016, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Guessing that there is a leak in the evap system and over the years, it all just evaporated...
You know your town gets hot as f*** during summer so...
Old 03-07-2016, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
If the strainer in the tank has clogged, nothing will drain out. I assume you had the hose off of the pipe that comes out of the bottom of the tank, and the car is on level, you should have fuel draining out without any pressure. Old gas, additives and moisture that sit in a tank with a very low fuel quantity over time will turn to goo. You should take advantage of the low fuel quantity to pull the screen from the tank and replace it if you can't see through it. Then, after you've done that, pour in a gallon of fresh gas and then you should see gas pouring out. I did that with my barn find and found about 4 oz of water in the bottom of the tank. Now it's all good.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Yep. Gas should be flowing though the hole freely. Here's a link to swapping out or cleaning the strainer.

Fuel Pump Suction Strainer - Removing, Cleaning, and Replacing

The one thing they do not cover in this article is the event that the threaded bung in the tank comes loose and spins in the plastic that makes up the tank. If this is the case, you will need to pull out the strainer and get it unthreaded form the metal ring. You'll have to epoxy the ring back into the fuel tank then. I think I saw this same procedure done on one of the 928 sites a while back. Same set up on them them as the 944 except the orientation.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

DG, completely forgot about the strainer there. Thanks. May have been one of the easiest 'repairs' i've ever made on the car. Waiting for the new o ring to replace...

Spencer, I laughed out loud. Thanks for the reminder! Does a leak in the evap system need to be fixed or is that the dreaded fumes in the cabin issue if I can tolerate it?
2015 Charger Rallye SXT
Old 03-09-2016, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: