Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ornery Bastard

PS rack and Cig lighter questions...

OK, first of all, my steering rack just started leaving nice little puddles of PS fluid all over the place. I'm tempted to keep adding cheap PS fluid for the rest of the car's life (I'll probably come out ahead financially doing that), but there's just something unsettling about a car that leaves a trail wherever it goes. Makes the thing useless as a getaway vehicle, they'll just track the trail of hydraulic fluid.

Is it possible to rebuild the existing rack? Or is it best just to order another rebuilt rack?

Also, my cigarette lighter is dead. I've checked the fuses and none are blown. My guess is that there is a connection that is bad somewhere in the center console. Also, the A/C control has stopped turning on the interior fan. The clutch on the compressor engages, and the auxiliary radiator fan comes on, but the interior circulation fan doesn't come on. Could that be related to the non-functional lighter? I'm going to open up the center console on Monday and have a look-see.

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-14-2002, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Ah, the difference a day makes. Discovered that I had been looking at the wrong fuse bank. Put in a new fuse and the cig. lighter works properly again.

After getting that figured out I pulled out the air pump (which the PO had said didn't work) and plugged it in figuring that the reason it hadn't worked was because the cig. lighter was dead. That was a Bad Idea. Smoke came out of the plug of the air pump and the lighter fuse was blown immediately. Replaced the lighter fuse again (last one I had) and headed out to Radio Shack to buy a new plug since the one on the pump was completely shorted out.

$2.49 and a little work later te pump has a new plug (with it's own 7.5 amp fuse so it won't blow the lighter fuse again). Cheapest repair I've ever done on a Porsche. (Fuses and bulbs don't count.) It works beautifully and unless you look closely to see the "Radio Shack" logo on the plug you'd swear that it's stock.

Adjusted the pegs on the hatch, and adjusted the driver's side wiper arm back to where it's supposed to be. A nicely productive day.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-15-2002, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: