Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Failed emission inspection

Now with all the lights and horn working I went to see about Texas sate inspection since it is due in Dec. I failed the emissions portion. Said it is running VERY rich.

My question is: Is this a 02 sensor problem? or, is it a fuel injector issue? How do I find out?

I did install a new "universal" Catalytic Convertor and a new (used) muffler.

I have the computer printout from the inspection facility, I happen to be "out & about" driving the 944 instead of working on it today. I can scan it and post it later if anyone knows what the #'s mean, or if it helps diagnois the problem area.

As an added bonus for today,,,,, while rolling up my drivers window here at Starbucks, the whole da** thing fell down inside the door. Oh well I am getting good at taking the door panel off!!!

All help greatly appreciated.......

1984 944 -- Silver
1984 944 -- Red

2002 Nissan Frontier 4 Door Truck
"Porsche parts retrievel vehicle"
Old 12-15-2002, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
LOL!!! Your whole window fell into the door? HA HA HA, thats a first for me Ummm, most likely it's your O2 sensor. Get a 3 wire universal and then splice the connector off the old and retrofit to the new. Your injectors merely feed the engine the gas that is regulated by the DME that reads the input from the O2 sensor that is probably not working properly. You have bad gas mileage or worse then a previous date? Just replace it then try again. Make sure your CAT is nice and HOT before you go through.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Have not had it long enough to tell about gas mileage.

You think a universal sensor is the way to go? They're a boatload cheaper than the oem, but do they work "the same"/"as well as" the oem?

On your sunroof, my motor is fried, so I've got it to work manually by using a flat blade screwdriver to turn the gear. Goes right in to the gear assly. To get the roof out you go past closed position and that releases the pins, then you can pop it out. I just put a new seal on mine and she's real tight and quiet. Seems to sit a little high in the back though, like seals aren't mating up properly.

Thanks...

BTW.. Did ya drive her today?

1984 944 -- Silver
1984 944 -- Red

Old 12-15-2002, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Dude, I just put a universeal in mine and the only visual difference no including the connector was that where the wires run inside the sensor,... the rubber part was white. It was a slitting image! The guyz at pepboyz were amazed by it. You should know by know that porsche stuff is alot more expensive then your average car. Well in some cases. Some O2 sensors for some of the honda's are like $280!!!!

My sunroof works just fine The switches in that back came apart or unbolted from the bracket. So I bolted them right up and actually learned how to properly operate the sunroof and shes great

I did drive the car today and so i did yesterday I can't stop drving this damn thing! Last night I drove her for 2 somthing hours from 11 somthing to 1am. I just got in the car and hit the highways. I was going to try and beat my 150 but to many cars on the road. She is running beautifully It's going to be hard giving her up.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I got the Bosch O2 sensor from Pelican Parts for about $30. It's listed for $86.80 but I think they will come down to $30. If not then German Parts and Restoration advertises it for $30 in Excellence.

The O2 sensor for an '84 has only 1 wire. It does not have the heating element so you must make sure the engine, exhaust, and cat are warm before the shop does the test.

If after a new O2 sensor she is still too rich then you might want to adjust the DME. Follow this link and read about the Fuel Quality Switch (FQS switch).... http://members.tripod.com/944dme/

There are a several discussions on this BBS about exhaust gasses being out of tolerances. Do a search for DME, emissions, and maybe inspection and you'll see what other people went through. I know in one case a member had high CO levels and he found it was a faulty airflow meter.

Tell us what fixes it when you find out.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
In my girlfriends 01 Jetta her windows did the same thing first on the left then the right another time. One dealer charged $250+- the next said it was on warranty. I bet you the gear is stripped or something. I think they also have a felt guide so it could be that.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 12-15-2002, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Went driving again,... I LOVE MY CAR!!! God If I had the money I would buy a 951 and keep this car.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Trevor

Got the window thing semi under control. The channel piece that the window sets in came off of the rollers. The rollers look to be in bad shape. When the glass hit the bottom of the door, it came out of the channel, it was originally glued in with a piece of rubber to cushion it in the channel frame.

So I've got the glass siliconed into the frame with it's rubber cushion and back on the rollers. Need to find some kind of replacement for the rollers, it works, but ya gotta watch it and bring it up and down in small increments.

1984 944 -- Silver
1984 944 -- Red

Old 12-15-2002, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: