Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche 944 in the Snow

I live in Connecticut which gets about 24 inches of snow a year. I have a pretty steep driveway and will sometimes be covered in 3 inches of snow. I am a brand new driver but am able to use a manual easily. I am looking for cars to buy and how would a 944 perform in these conditions? I would only use it to get to school and back in the winter, and to my job 10 miles away in the summer. Is the Porsche 944 the right car for me? What would be a better car under 5 or 6k? I would prefer a 2 door coupe or 4 door sedan, maybe something I could tinker with coil-overs or exhaust systems. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Going faster all the time

Garage
3 inches is not deep... but the 944 doesn't have a lot of ground clearance.
Skinny snow tires make a HUGE difference.

A 4wd boxer engine (in a subaru) is a much better beater.

You could consider a 4 motion golf or another german car...
save the 944 from the snow.
Then: 1973 914 2.0 Marathon Blue | 1986 944T Alpine White | 2004 40th AE 911(996) #898 | 1987 944 Guards Red | 1976 914 2.0 Summer Yellow
Old 08-31-2016, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
My 944 has a limited slip differential (LSD) and goes VERY well in the snow. However, I do not LIKE to drive it in the snow because I know some other dumbass will eventually hit me. It has gotten me home many times in 4-6" of snow. The 944 has more clearance than people think. The bottom of the front spoiler is the low point (at least for mine it is). My go-to snow car is my Audi 5000S Quattro.
84 928S - Restoration Project
Old 09-01-2016, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
Driving a 944 in the snow without snow tires is - you must have a death wish and certainly not for the faint of heart.. LSD or no LSD doesn't matter.

Even with snow tires and LSD, the ground clearance becomes a factor (especially in the front) with snow over 3 inches.

There are better choices.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 09-01-2016, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
to be honest if your looking for a 2 door, awd, or sporty car look into a subaru svx.. hard to find but when you do you have a great looking and riding car. had a manual svx all through high school.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The tires on my 944 are regular all-season H-rated Kelly Chargers. Stock 15 inchers. I did try to drive it with the 951 wheels (16's) and Z rated Dunlops on it one time.. Never again. LOL

The SVX was really cool. Yes they are getting rare. One of the teachers I worked with when I worked at the County School System bought one new back in the day. It was dark metallic blue. It was VERY nice. A friend had an 86 XT that was good too. He gave it to me to fix several years ago. It had started rusting from the inside out though. The turbo needed rebuilding and the air suspension lines had come apart at the ends and needed replacing. I didn't have the time to fool with it much. The fuel pump went out on it not too long afterwards and I sold it for $100...
Old 09-01-2016, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Stock height 944 has ~5 inches of ground clearance.
I have driven mine in "light snow" on all-season tires and it does just fine, but snow out here is nothing like what you will face.

But I have heard from lots of folks over the years who live in the snowy parts of the world that snow tires on a 944 make it work like any other car.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Porschefan

Send a message via Yahoo to smj
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
But I have heard from lots of folks over the years who live in the snowy parts of the world that snow tires on a 944 make it work like any other car.
I had a 944 and 944S in New England 10+ years back. With snow tires, they were fine provided you weren't dealing with deep snow - if there are travel advisories, you don't want to chance it.

That said, I wouldn't recommend it for a first car, or an only car where there's frequent snow/sleet/ice. A newb will find a FWD or AWD a bit more forgiving when they apply too much throttle/braking - and they will. And the base 944 is now 27-33 years old? Time to start taking care of the ones that haven't been trashed, not pointing folks whose drivers license still squeaks at them...

Any Subaru - a common post-2000 model, not an SVX or XT! - or Honda that fits your price range and other criteria would be a solid yet fun choice. Good performance, the creature comforts you expect, and you can learn basic upkeep and maintenance without the Porsche part$ $ticker $hock.
'98 Audi Avant 2.8 wagon (snow buggy) ................ '97 Kawasaki EX-500
Old 09-02-2016, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

For what its worth, I live in alaska. My 924s did incredible in the snow even with the Florida all seasons I had on it, ive driven through crazy blizzards and deep snow over 250 miles and I personally think it handled better and got better traction than a front wheel drive car, make sure you throw a couple sand bags in the back and really should use better compound tire or studs for icy conditions. my 944 turbo is different i couldn't get it to go through 1" of snow without having someone push it, but the tires on that are different compound and it does sit lower and wider, im sure it would be fine if I put different tires on it but I doubt I would want to drive it much in snow just because shone other guy will crash into me.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Get yourself an 02-04 audi allroad. Manual transmission, if you can find one.

Just as time consuming and frustrating to own as a 944.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moalaska View Post
For what its worth, I live in alaska. My 924s did incredible in the snow even with the Florida all seasons I had on it, ive driven through crazy blizzards and deep snow over 250 miles and I personally think it handled better and got better traction than a front wheel drive car, make sure you throw a couple sand bags in the back and really should use better compound tire or studs for icy conditions. my 944 turbo is different i couldn't get it to go through 1" of snow without having someone push it, but the tires on that are different compound and it does sit lower and wider, im sure it would be fine if I put different tires on it but I doubt I would want to drive it much in snow just because shone other guy will crash into me.
Here is the guy that knows snow driving!

Of all the vehicles I have ever owned and driven my '83 944 is the one I would pick to head out into a snow storm with. That includes 4 x 4 trucks and a Subaru Forester! With a good set of snow tires it is the best handling, most predictable car on snow and ice I have ever driven bar none. With the independent rear suspension and weight balance is has amazing traction for a 2 wheel drive. Very similar to the old VW bug. No concerns here about rusting it out as very few cars are as rust resistant as these are.

That being said there are three things that do cause me to leave it at home in the winter:
1) as said above - other idiots that can't drive on icy roads.
2) the heater/defrost on my '83 is not up to the task at anything below -20 C.
3) the rad intake is too low and tends to scoop up snow and will plug and cause overheating under the right(or better said wrong) conditions.
Ask me how I found this out at midnight in a mountain pass after punching through a ridge left by a snow plow!!
Old 09-03-2016, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I've been eyeing a 2003-2004 Allroad. Yes, they are getting hard to find. If I can score one close by, it's MINE!! Can't be any harder to work on that the 03 A8L 4.2 we have..
Old 09-03-2016, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Self-Proclaimed Newb

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Brozoar
There are certainly better things to drive in the snow, but FWIW, I used to LOVE driving my '83 in the snow regularly. I even learned to look forward to blizzards. Just take the time to learn how to steer with the throttle a little bit, at low speeds, in a controlled situation. It didn't get stuck too often in MI, and that was on some pretty basic Yokohama all-seasons.

I also never had an accident with another driver in the snow, but of course, that's as much random chance as it is anything I did right. Leaving yourself plenty of space from other cars and being always on the lookout for subpar drivers helps.
1985.0 944NA - Maraschino Red (traded for a Volvo 244 )
Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Vey, yes mister President

winter tires

believe the hype, they are cheap insurance.

<- drives a miata on winters through minnesota winters.

RWD is fantastic fun in the wintertime, me driving my miata on the lake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ax95JeGtw

Last edited by cockerpunk; 09-06-2016 at 09:12 PM..
Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I learned many many years ago when I drove my first 4 x 4 that just because you have the traction to get going in snowy/icy conditions with 4WD doesn't mean you have the traction to steer and stop! 4WD has very little influence over your ability to control your vehicle once you are moving and zero added ability to stop.
A friend of mine pointed out that on bad weather days when there are a lot of vehicles in the ditch, the majority of them are 4WD or AWD. I believe the reason is that 4WD masks the real road conditions and people then tend to overdrive their ability and the available traction.
2WD cars are safer in my opinion because the driver tends to recognize and respect the conditions sooner.

Last edited by OPRN; 09-08-2016 at 04:30 PM..
Old 09-08-2016, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Porsche does just fine in the snow.
Your results may vary slightly.

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 09-21-2016, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
"2WD cars are safer in my opinion because the driver tends to recognize and respect the conditions sooner. " Not necessarily. I see just as many 2WD the ditches as any other. I just smile and wave as I slowly drive by in my 944, Audi 5000SQ, or the A8.. LOL A few years ago, I had some idiot pass me on the 4-lane with 5 inches of snow/slush on it in a 2WD. I was going about 20mph tops in a Mazda B2600i 4X4. The slushiness of the snow was pulling me from side to side making it slow going. Idiot passes me going about 35.... I don't know how he was keeping it straight enough to go that fast, let along pass me. He gets out of the rutts to the left about 100ft ahead of me and it pulls him well into the median. He's sitting there spinning his tire (i say tire because only one was spinning) trying to get off the grass and mud under the snow.... I just kept going. Dumbass got himself in there, he can get himself out.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Here is some back up to what I was saying about the 944 in winter. Yesterday we had a nice little ice racing session out here and my son who is a 16 year old beginner driver cleaned house on the day by a very comfortable margin with a bone stock '85 944 with winter tires. No studs!
That includes all SUVs and 4x4 pick up trucks including those with studs!

Of all the vehicles I have ever owned or driven the 944 is my pick for bad winter roads bar none. Even my wife's Subaru Forester spent it's fare share of time in the weeds!

Last edited by OPRN; 01-29-2017 at 01:52 AM..
Old 01-29-2017, 01:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
What some people dont realise is that 4x4's are heavier, hence take lot more stopping in slippery conditions.
As a first car, for winter driving I would choose a more modern fwd with skinnyish tyres with airbags and abs, and traction control would help too.
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 01-29-2017, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead611 View Post
What some people dont realise is that 4x4's are heavier, hence take lot more stopping in slippery conditions.
As a first car, for winter driving I would choose a more modern fwd with skinnyish tyres with airbags and abs, and traction control would help too.
And they are top heavy, next time you are out on bad roads make a note of the upsidedown ones. They will nearly all have 2 diffs!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
944 , new driver. , porsche , snow