Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to MPitt
Has the time come for my clutch?

Hello everyone,

While I was driving Thursday I started feeling a lot of resistance in my clutch pedal making shifting a little more difficult, but I was able to get to where I was going. When I went to leave a few hours later I could not shift into gear at all, and it felt like the pedal wasn't completely going to the floor.

I tried searching around here and everywhere else I could think of with the symptoms but couldn't find anything that I thought was the same problem I'm having, so I wanted to ask everyone before I start ordering parts.

I think the pressure plate may be the issue but I don't know enough to be sure.

Given the amount of effort to fix anything in there I am preparing myself to replace the clutch and pressure plate all at once. Is there anything else I could or should check first before ordering?

Thanks everyone.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Miles on clutch or OEM? Turbo or NA?
Check for disc wear:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/clutch-03.pdf

Could be a worn TO bearing----but then everything gets replaced anyway.

Any leaking clutch fluid?

Have you carefully adjusted the clutch pedal and a drop of oil on the shaft.

???

J_AZ
Old 09-26-2016, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply John.

As far as I know it's all OEM and around 92,500 miles. I'll check the receipts I got with the car to see if anything was replaced.

I didn't see any fluid leaks, and I checked the brake fluid level since I have issues with that leaking in my NA which causes funny clutch pedal business.

I didn't check the disc wear; do you think that would cause the pedal to have that much resistance? Same thought about adjusting the pedal, would it be almost instantaneous for the resistance to begin if the shaft needed lubrication?

I was thinking of it possibly being the TOB also, but like you said everything would get replaced.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

If the car is the NA, and original, it would have a rubber center clutch disc. An early indicator of rubber clutch failure is a vibration at about 3000-3300 rpm because the rubber center clutch disc is breaking apart-chunk by chunk. The rubber pieces end up in the bottom of the bell housing. Removing the starter and poking around would find pieces of rubber.
Eventually, it becomes harder to shift due to obstructions.

J_AZ
Old 09-26-2016, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Oops, I forgot in the last post. It's the clutch on the Turbo. There wasn't any indication of it starting to get harder to shift aside from the day of it stopping completely.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

"An early indicator of rubber clutch failure is a vibration at about 3000-3300 rpm because the rubber center clutch disc is breaking apart-chunk by chunk."

Thank You John AZ!!!!!

My '84 has this vibration - 88,888 miles. New clutch coming by Spring.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: