Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to individual Send a message via Yahoo to individual
eating up timing belts

my 83 is chewing up its timing belt and im not sure why. the belt is fairly new, as well as all new idler pulleys. the belt cover is off buti havent driven it that much since replacing the belt and pulleys. why is it chewing up its belt? i mean whole teeth are gone on the belt, on both sides. what could cause this?

some stereo stuff
all stock other than that
PORSCHE---Proof Of Rich Spoiled Children Having Everything
--1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo
few mods here and there
Old 01-04-2003, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Examine the cog wheels. Time and grit, particularly if you are driving without the "belly pan" will wear them down to where the belt will begin to get ground up. I had one come to me like that some years back. He was running without the top belt cover and there was a streak of rubberized crud on the inside of the hood just above the upper cog (cam).
Old 01-04-2003, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As Moneyguy stated, driveing with the covers and the belly pan off isn't a good idea.

I am thinking that if you are shearing teeth, something is definately wrong - you have a roller that is siezed up or the belt is too tight.

Advise you not to drive the vehicle until you can determine cause and fix it.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 01-04-2003, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

im not driving the car at all right now. i was halfway through the clutch break-in period when i noticed the belt was screwed
some stereo stuff
--1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo
few mods here and there
Old 01-04-2003, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Re: eating up timing belts

Quote:
Originally posted by individual
my 83 is chewing up its timing belt and im not sure why. the belt is fairly new, as well as all new idler pulleys. the belt cover is off buti havent driven it that much since replacing the belt and pulleys. why is it chewing up its belt? i mean whole teeth are gone on the belt, on both sides. what could cause this?
Teeth on both sides are gone???

Do you mean just the counter balance belt, the one closest to the radiator?

Perchance do you have the idler pulleys on the correct belts?

The single flange goes on the engine side for the timing belt and the counter balance idler/tensioner's flange goes toward the radiator. These WILL cause the belts to mistrack and lead to premature failures.

Do you have the anti-slap pulleys almost contacting the belts?

Well???
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-04-2003, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

ok im getting a new belt tommorow. its an 83 so it of course doesnt have the tensioner to keep itself in proper tension. i really dont want to pay to get it re-tensioned as im selling the car pretty soon, so how do i tension it myself? how do i know when its tight enough?
some stereo stuff
--1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo
few mods here and there
Old 01-05-2003, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Good luck with her! I see your a RX-7 fan too! I had a sweet 87 Turbo also. Mods up to about 250 HP...lowered weight down to about 2600 LBS...I smoked some Vette's with her....Until a lady pulled out in front of me!
Old 01-06-2003, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by individual
i really dont want to pay to get it re-tensioned as im selling the car pretty soon, so how do i tension it myself? how do i know when its tight enough?
Short answer - unless you have experience - you can't. To do it right, you really need the tool - anything else you are gambling.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 01-06-2003, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Oh momma!

Seven come eleven!!!

Where's those belts????
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-06-2003, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

To get you by, get it tight enough so that you can't turn the waterpump by hand, that is make it just tight enough to where you can't let the waterpump pulley slip on the belt. BTW: I do have the factory tensioning tools, and if working on someones car, I use them. But the above technique is great for a pinch, just remember new belts stretch and will need to be readjusted. Though as stated before, it's best to use the proper technique when doing anything, especially when something of value is at stake when done improperly.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: