Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Heavy vibrations at higher speeds

Still trying to work out the kinks.... At speeds over about 40 MPH the wheel starts shaking pretty severly at both acceleration and deceleration. Any thoughts on this? I am thinking maybe tie rods and possibly loose suspension.

Old 01-06-2003, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Most likely main a-arm bushings first then the tie rods and the ball joints. There is a u-joined linkage between the steering column and the steering rack that wears out too.

As you have an 83 with the steel a-arms the bushings and ball joints are easy to get to and replace. I would do the tie rods too and then get an alignment.

Don't take off the steering wheel if it's fairly straight right now as this is a good reference for keeping the steering rack centered during an alignment.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-06-2003, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I woulndt say over 40 is a higher speed !

but basics

1> check your tyre preassure (look at the inside of the petrol flap)

2> are the wheels mounted properly, check, your handbook, one of the five studs has a fleck of paint on it the wheel hole, with the valve closest goes on this stud, also the locking nuts MUST go on this stuid, make sure there the porsche ones and not others.

3> proper wheel alignment and balance, figures on 4 hours

hope this helps

been there done it , and got it fixed by using all of the above

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 01-07-2003, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Wow, these cars are pretty particular on things like this eh? Thanks, I will give this a try.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by green944
Wow, these cars are pretty particular on things like this eh? Thanks, I will give this a try.
Almost as U-Nee-Que as the owners!!!

Have you replaced the timing belts yet?
Old 01-07-2003, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Not yet, just found out that I need a $500 tool to replace it ....ugh.... Any idea if these are avaliable to rent anywhere?
Old 01-07-2003, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
You don't need the tool to replace the belt. Chances are you may get the tension too tight as the tensioner/idler will move when you tighten the retaining nut. The 90 degree twist will get you close enuff regardless of what others say. Best to leave it a bit loose than too tight.

Even if it's too tight it's better than having a belt break in the next week or so because you didn't replace it. Figure about $1300 to have the head rebuilt and installed.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

True enough But all is well. I found someone I know with the tentioner tool, so I will probably put on a new one in the next day or two and tighten it with your specs and then retention with the tool.
Thanks agian for all your help

Old 01-07-2003, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: