Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
Exclamation Moral dilemma (To "S" or not to "S")

Alright, here's the deal. Right now i've got a daily driver 83 944. Good car with a laundry list of small problems. A guy i work with has an 87 1/2 944S w/64k miles on it. It needs 2 things : 1 a new front clip since it was hit in the front and 2 a radiator. Now this guy has these two parts and was gonna install them and sell the car for 2500. Now, he says that he's gonna sell it to someone we both know, but that that guy's gonna part it out.
Now to the dilemma. Do i sell this 3rd party my baby to part it out and buy the 87? or do i let an otherwise immaculate car go to pieces?
Thoughts?

Old 01-07-2003, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Is the damage really limited to the radiator and the front clip? Does your car sell to the 3rd party for $2500 and you get the other one for nil? If the above 2 are true, then I would go ahead and "upgrade."

'90 S2
Old 01-07-2003, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If it was me I would choose the 944S, but this because
1. I don't know either cars.
2. The 944S is newer.
3. It has more power.
So the odds as far as I am concerned it will be 944S.
However, you know your car but don't know the other one. So you have a bigger risk. The only risk on the 944S you would take is a possible engine failure. But test drive it and if it does not feel considerable faster then yours above say 4000 rpm be suspisious.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
not sure of the value of an '87 944s, but for a repaired car w/64k, upgraded interior, a bit more power, sounds like a deal you should really consider.

edit: that is, if the car is not or will not be deemed "salvage" title after fixed.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, it would basically be a trade off. I'm really just wondering if there are any BIG pitfalls from owning a 944S. I know that the expense of some parts is greater, but the later models are less problematic. That and trading that wonderful off the line low end torque for high end hp. The damage to the S is limited to the front end. My coworker actually bought a factory from clip from porsche to fix the front end, so it'll be a complete car less a paint job. The interior is flawless and everything else is in complete working order.
I've heard that the 87 1/2 S's are somewhat rare, but then again "they" could be wrong.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
944s problems

your reading assignment.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

an S is a great car:

IF (there is always an if...)

1. the car is well maintained, with a documented maintenance history

2. You are aware of what you are getting into: Parts will cost more than on your 83, the engine isn't quite as "user friendly" etc..

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 01-08-2003, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You need to do more research on not only the "S" but this ones service history as well. Talk to the S owners to get an idea of the X-tra service it needs. If it checks out, I would go for it. I test drove one and can say, it was much quicker then a na 944...Good luck & happy motoring!
Old 01-08-2003, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
I don't get it???

Why would someone ever want to part out an S, with only 64K on it and only needs two small fixes???

How bad of a paint job does this car need? It must be pretty bad if it's one step away from a parts car.

If you can get an S with 64K and no other main problems for only $2500, count yourself very lucky.

Get a PPI and ask about service records, and if all works out - take that S away from an owner who obviously doesn't give it as much love as it needs......oh, and enjoy the "above 4500 RPM rush"!!

944S Boyeee

P.S. - and get the belts done and either the entire tensioner or at least the upper tensioner pad.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
VERY LUCKY, HA HA HA!!! Why is he only selling it for $2,500? He is either cluess or is hding something, fins out as much of it's history as possible and in my own opinion,... the "S" engine isn't all that hard to work on

Last edited by overkill; 01-08-2003 at 07:00 AM..
Old 01-08-2003, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think he bought it for 2k or somewhere around that and bought the parts to fix it, but has another BIG project to work on so he just needs the cash. I'm not sure if it has a salvage title or not, but, yeah if i had the cash i'd just buy it.
But on the other hand, i could have him part it out to me and i could upgrade my interior/exterior w/o taking on the extra expense of the S motor.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Why would someone ever want to part out an S, with only 64K on it and only needs two small fixes???
~~~~~~~~~quote

Well, sadly enough, these cars are simply worth more in pieces than put together......even if there is NOTHING wrong with them.

I would definitely go for the S. With the proper preventative maintenance the additional expense is negligble.
87 944(sold)
87 951
88 951
Turn up the BOOST!!!
Old 01-08-2003, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
As an S2 owner, the maintenance between the 8V and 18V cars is not that different. Aside from the engine internals and cam chain tensioner, the prices for keeping the car running are the same. Honestly, what do you consider "routine" maintenance, oil/filter changes? Uses same oil and filter. Timing belt/H2O pump replacement? Same water pump and perhaps belts/rollers are within a few dollars of each other. Now the Cam chain tensioner is another thing entirely, but should be ~$280 for a new replacement and these can last 75K before getting a new one.

Now should something go terribly wrong with the motor (t-belt breaks/cam chain tensioner fails) then the price is definitely way more expensive to fix, but these are things diligent maintenance works to avoid.

BTW The interior change from early to late model interiors is not a direct swap. Much re-work needed to get the late to fit an early car. Too bad this car is in WA and I am in RI, I'd take it for the $2.5K, think your friend would lower the price if I throw in my daily driver '90 GTi??

Cheers,

'90 S2
Old 01-08-2003, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

On the other hand, perhaps the frame is bent? Did you or can you test drive it in its current condition?
You must see if its got a salvage title...That would have a big impact on its value, now & in the future. If it looks & feels alright, you might have gotten a very good car...Cheap!
Old 01-09-2003, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I've decided to let it go. If the guy wants to part it out, then i'll take some parts, but it's too much hassle at this point.
Besides, my baby needs me...my 83 sets me free!! Thanks SoCal
Old 01-09-2003, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

sheez $2,500 fixed w/ a factory front clip, 64K miles? take it already! If it turns out to be a piece, sell the engine and tranny and/or the front clip and you've got your money back plus some extra, then keep the rest for yourself
Old 01-09-2003, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
is it salvage/junk title then?

edit: if you have the vin, i can run a carfax for you.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Yeah, you got 2.5k i can borrow? heh

Old 01-09-2003, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: