Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ornery Bastard

Installing an antenna

OK, my car has one of those stupid "mickey mouse" antennas, you know, those little 10-inch rubbery things. It doesn't pick up squat, and it's been put in the car in a half-arsed way. Now that I replaced the dying radio (got a Nakamichi now) and realised that the reception problems were independant of the receiver I need to get a new antenna. I've got no need for a power antenna (power antennas just freeze up anyway) and I'd be plenty happy with an original antenna if I could find one. My main problem is how to get the bloody thing situated in the fender. I don't see how to get "inside" the fender to route the antenna wires. Anyone done this before who can point me to a tech article about this? I couldn't find an article on Pelican about it.

Aaron

Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-08-2003, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I remember reading somthing about removing the charcoal canister. Sorry I am not more help.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Custom User Title

If it was me, I'd go to home depot and get a black grommet/stopper thing (I don't know the correct name) to fill in the empty hole. Then, I'd get a roof or glass mounting antenna. It would look better, and you'd avoid the hassle of working in the fender. I'm thinking of doing this myself. I've got the FM antenna in the windshield. Works fine, but I heard it can cause interference with radar detector function. I guess I'll worry about it after I geta radar detector.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
Well, if its similar to the 944's fender, you have to remove that charcaol canister and right behind it on the same mounting bracket is the antenna. The stock one is held on by one of those reverse mount brackets that's held on by the antenna nut on top.
Pain in the butt if you have big hands, probably harder in the 924's slim fenders.
Good luck
Old 01-09-2003, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

1. Raise car and support with jackstands.
2. Remove left front wheel.
3. Remove the two bolts from the emissions canister and swing it out of the way.
4. If you have the retaining ring and cup holding the antenna on the fender, remove them.
5. Remove the slotted bolt from the antenna assembly lower mounting bracket.
6. Pull the assembly out far enough to unscrew the antenna lead.
7. There are three leads in the assembly, remove the cover plate bolts and unscrew them.
8. Pull the rubber grommet from the top, taking the power leads out.
9. Throw the assembly away.
10 Now this is important, you can use the old antenna cable, but if you decide to use a new cable, strap the new cable to the old cable and pull the new cable in the car with the old cable. It is almost impossible to fish a new one from scratch.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by speed
1. Raise car and support with jackstands.
2. Remove left front wheel.
3. Remove the two bolts from the emissions canister and swing it out of the way.
4. If you have the retaining ring and cup holding the antenna on the fender, remove them.
5. Remove the slotted bolt from the antenna assembly lower mounting bracket.
6. Pull the assembly out far enough to unscrew the antenna lead.
7. There are three leads in the assembly, remove the cover plate bolts and unscrew them.
8. Pull the rubber grommet from the top, taking the power leads out.
9. Throw the assembly away.
10 Now this is important, you can use the old antenna cable, but if you decide to use a new cable, strap the new cable to the old cable and pull the new cable in the car with the old cable. It is almost impossible to fish a new one from scratch.
Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for (except my antenna's not power).

Aaron

Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-09-2003, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: