Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
First Project...

First like to thank everyone on here learned a lot reading post on this forums.

Well here is my new to me 1984 944 NA i bought back in july 2016 in STL where i lived at the time my first porsche, my first big project car (i am only 24) from the pictures it needs work according the the MO plates that is still on the car it was last registered in 2000. It starts and runs but stills to get hot so i bought it as is, a week later i got a better job opportunity with my company and moved to GA leaving my car behind at a family house.

Finally 5 months later got her shipped to her new home of course would not start after sitting five months and discovered bad starter which i will install this weekend and try and fix the over heating then on to new vacuum hoses and fuel hoses

this is going to be a long build but now i'll like to get her on the road with new brakes and suspension i plan to buy a house later this year so i don't wont to pull the engine for a rebuild till she in the new house.

Body wise not to bad typical battery tray rust few dents, passenger seat rails are completely rusted can't move them. I work in a body shop i paint cars so, body work part will be the last after i know she has a healthy engine.

Last edited by Dray110; 12-30-2016 at 03:59 PM..
Old 12-30-2016, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The newest of the noobs!

You can 'preview' your post to see how the pics will look. Even edit it later. Hard to follow a project when the car is sideways~!
Old 12-30-2016, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry about that weird it looked right side up on my computer
Old 12-30-2016, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Welcome to Pelican and welcome to Georgia! I am about 40 minutes from you in Athens, and I have a dozen parts cars if you ever need any parts (I'm sure you will sooner or later).

I'm not seeing a photo on your original post, but it sounds like a great project car, and hopefully you will get to drive and enjoy it!

Send me a PM if you'd like to get in touch about parts or anything else. I'm glad to help.

-Elliott
1986 951 camo (drift pig 3.0)
1983 944 green (the bean! / daily driver)
Old 12-31-2016, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks Elliot and I will definitely be contacting you for parts especially
These hard to find one
Old 01-01-2017, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome aboard. Timing belt and balance shaft belt should be replaced if you don't know their history. Make sure that all the air has been bleed from the system as an air bubble in the head will cause overheating.
Check this site. Clark's Garage Home Page
As a Body man you will like this story. In 1980 a body shop friend clipped two totaled 924's to build one. He clipped them at the upper a-pillars and across the floor pan, the joints of which were overlapped and brazed. Those were the days when such practices were commonplace. I drove the car and it drove fine. Thirty + years later I came across it in a local bone yard so it never broke in half
Old 01-01-2017, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Depends on how long the car has been sitting, but it is always a good idea to drain the fuel tank and remove and clean out the in-tank strainer (an easy check that will reveal any rotten gas muck in the tank that could be restricting flow, and save you from having to continually change gas filters and pumps, etc.-a restricted pump can give you a nasty whine from the gas tank area of the car while the car is running). Other than that; (as already stated) the timing/balance shaft belts and water pump should be replaced if not done recently/on schedule. Just a little of my experience with purchasing a 944 that was parked for many years.

Once the big bugs are worked out and the car is running good you will be able to iron out the smaller things, change the fluids, identify possible leaks, give it a tune-up, check the mechanical items such as the brakes and so-on. Little by little you will be able to work out things and get it rolling again. It is a Porsche after all and it should be done right if you are really going to enjoy the restoration experience, and if it is worth investing time and money into, don't expect it to be cheap just because it's a 944.

All the best with your new project, the 944 is a fun little car.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
thank you guys for the tips this my first project car and i definitely want to do it the right way. i been reading clarks garage a lot lately now i have my car back and yes timing belt and balance shaft belt will be on the to do list before she is driven daily.

jhowell that was a good body guy that was car still in tact 30+ years later lol
Old 01-01-2017, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Looks like a good project. Let me know if you'd like to fix up that interior - I have a pretty nice black interior with the same script cloth seats, everything is in pretty great condition except the dash.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to exchange numbers and come by sometime to pick out a few things!
1986 951 camo (drift pig 3.0)
1983 944 green (the bean! / daily driver)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Looks great and similar to the '85 944 I bought a few weeks ago. Plenty to do with mine, so far I've replaced the windscreen, out sticky rubber on, put in a race seat and tidied up a few things. I've just screwed up a rear seat belt mechanism and have a few parts on order with PP to fix some mechanicals. It will end up a a more track focussed car in the future and I have high hopes of a Gulf colour scheme. Look forward to seeing your project develop.
2009 997.2 Carrera PDK) gone but not forgotten)
1988 Carrera Targa Euro Spec (gone by not forgotten)
Old 01-02-2017, 12:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
There you go....

83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
It's nice to see ernie9944 posting again (forgive me if I have simply missed your contributions elsewhere).
1987 924s Garnet Red (with FIAMM air horns!)
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 01-03-2017, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisr View Post
It's nice to see ernie9944 posting again (forgive me if I have simply missed your contributions elsewhere).
I Curtis,still alive.I do come on once in a while,can't keep away from my birth place lol
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 01-03-2017, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Ernie I can't seem to figure out why on my computer the pics are right side up but when i check the forums on my phone it's side ways lol I'll figure it out as I go.

Yeah drift_a_944 soon I get some of these mechanical and other maintenance stuff done and out the way interior is next in the list I'm glad u have a seat of those black seats like mine I really like them my passenger seat is in great shape expect the rails are so rusted from the passenger floor being wet they won't slide forward or back I been soaking them with PB blaster and wacking them with a hammer and no go but I'll deal with them later I might end up just breaking rails and bracket and replacing them

Well I climbed under the car to take a peek at the fuel pump and here's what I found PO put that clear filter on there it is leaking on the ends more like a slow slow leak but it's pretty dirty so this weekend I'll probably siphon out the gas check the fuel tank strainer see how dirty it is

Also probably get ride of that clear filter what do you guys think?

Old 01-03-2017, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
That fuel filter definitely is not correct, get a new one and replace it! Could be part of your no-start issue, it looks like someone used a filter from a lawnmower! If that is the way the filter looks, the strainer will definitely need some cleaning. Then don't even try starting it without changing the engine oil and filter. Once you have the tank freshened up you will want to add some Sea Foam conditioner to the gas that will help get more of the glue out of the fuel pump and lines...

Last edited by Northof944; 01-03-2017 at 06:30 PM..
Old 01-03-2017, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
ok thanks for the tip northof944 i will definitely get ride of that plastic clear filter hopefully the pumps ok but yeah if the strainer past the point of cleaning i'll just replace it but i will get that bottle of sea foam cause i know the fuel lines will need it

Is that fuel hose from the clear filter to the tank a 3/8?

Also got my stock air box in the mail I can get ride of the PO aftermarket one that's on the car

Last edited by Dray110; 01-04-2017 at 03:14 AM..
Old 01-03-2017, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
You'll be needing this:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/944_USA_82_85_KATALOG.pdf

Very helpful for gathering parts and returning the car to stock.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 01-04-2017, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you rasta this is going to come in handy a lot
Old 01-04-2017, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray110 View Post

Is that fuel hose from the clear filter to the tank a 3/8?
I believe that hose is a 5/8 if I am not mistaken...

Last edited by Northof944; 01-04-2017 at 03:50 PM..
Old 01-04-2017, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Not much work getting done this weekend I got a new filter waiting on new fuel pump so next weekend I will swap both those out and pull the in tank strainer to clean

I did siphon out the old gas it did not look to bad but I don't know what old gas suppose to look like

Last edited by Dray110; 01-07-2017 at 11:28 AM..
Old 01-07-2017, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: