Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Auto to Manuel...

How hard would it be to swap transmissions on my 88' 2.5? Has anyone done it

Old 01-12-2017, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Search, search search and yee shall find. Tonnes of write-ups out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
are you swapping from manual to auto or auto to manual? I see you have another tread looking for an auto transmission.

Where are you located?

instagram @mhariush @technikercompany
http://stores.ebay.com/Techniker-Parts/
Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm swapping a manual into an automatic car now. There are definitely other threads here about it, but it is made a great deal easier by having the donor car on hand. I guess another option would be to find one at a local pick-and-pull yard.

The original question was "how hard is it to do?" It's a sizable job and takes considerably longer than, for example, a clutch replacement.

I now have a spare auto trans I plan to sell at some point.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

wow - that's serious commitment.

you can basically buy these cars for my bar tab nowadays. long before i contemplated converting it, i would have just sold that car and gotten one with the trans i wanted already in it, swapped over whatever i wanted to keep from car 1, and been done with it.

have fun.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

You'll have to ask Manuel..
Old 01-13-2017, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
wow - that's serious commitment.

you can basically buy these cars for my bar tab nowadays. long before i contemplated converting it, i would have just sold that car and gotten one with the trans i wanted already in it, swapped over whatever i wanted to keep from car 1, and been done with it.

have fun.
There is often a common theme with your advice- it's the most sensible answer!
https://instagram.com/bradical924/
Old 01-14-2017, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Why change the tranny especially from which I understand there is nothing wrong with the one you have in it, and the automatics are more rare from what I've read. I have an 88 924S myself and wouldn't dream of swapping it out. Though I'd love to find out exactly how many 88 924S automatics were produced for the USA market. I know how many total were shipped for the USA, but that was all the info Porsche could tell me.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I did the job. I had an 89- 2.7 auto. I swapped it to a 3.0 S2 manual. If just to swap auto to a manual I would not recommend it. Good clean autos sell for the same or more than a rough manual. Consider turbo or supercharging the auto to have more fun.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
In fact I did the job twice because the torque tube bearings were bad.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

based on how fragile i have found the 968 flex damper to be, when the torque of a supercharged 3 liter motor is applied to it, i can't think the weaker 944 auto is going to do well. also, tuning for an automatic with a supercharger or turbocharger is not easy, especially with only 3 gears. it is extremely easy to go lean under boost, and all sorts of bad things happen. you would easily be looking at $10k to do it right, and even then, i'm not sure the auto is up to it. you could end up with a very pricey doorstop
Old 01-15-2017, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I thought the dampers deteriorated with age more than use. There is a regular clutch disk conversion option too.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
A Rouge Tuning MAF is a nice upgrade to an automatic. It is my daily commuting car, however it doesn't do so well in summer heat.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

rufrob - i would have thought that too. however, we ripped the brand new one too. 2 disks in the same car. in the end, we had to detune the kit.

i've not felt such a converted 944, but at least on the 968, as for the "regular clutch disk" option, i tend to suspect that the resultant vibrations would not be pleasant. the rubber is there for a reason. even with the rubber, the tiptronic vibrates quite a bit at idle. it does it so much that the tiptronic uses different motor mounts than the 6 speed.

a whole lot easier, and likely less expensive, just to buy a car that has what you want, than to try to convert one.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
20/20 hindsight I would agree it's not worth it. However if you have the time, experience and parts it's quite doable. In anger I could remove a transmission and torque tube in 30mins. Total 1 hour to get the clutch out. And that's on my back on gravel with hand tools. Where there is a will there is a way.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhariush View Post
are you swapping from manual to auto or auto to manual? I see you have another tread looking for an auto transmission.

Where are you located?
i am in southern Cali
Old 01-23-2017, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

all the way from columbia?? wow.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: