Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Self-Proclaimed Newb

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Brozoar
951 Radiator Removal From The Top?

I have to replace the radiator on my 951 (just got a brand new Wizard Cooling unit - sweeet). And boy, would I ever like to replace it from the top.

Does anyone know whether that's doable if I remove the nose panel and intercooler first? I'm well aware that most people come at it from the bottom, but there's some weirdness with one of my PS hoses being looped around an oil cooler hose, and I'd rather not have to disconnect one or the other to unloop them and give me the space I need to get the old rad out.

TIA!
1985.0 944NA - Maraschino Red (traded for a Volvo 244 )
Old 01-21-2017, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not sure what the issue is, it comes out the top just fine. I seem to recall it goes like this.

1. disconnect all coolant hoses and remove
2. remove water-pipe across top
3. disconnect 3 wires from radiator (2-fans, thermo-switch)
4. remove power-steering cooler bracket bolts and let hang
5. unbolt fan-assembly and remove out top
6. unscrew two pinch-bolts from top of radiator all the way
7. push down radiator top and tilt towards back of car
8. pull radiator up and out
Old 01-22-2017, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozoar View Post
I have to replace the radiator on my 951 (just got a brand new Wizard Cooling unit - sweeet). And boy, would I ever like to replace it from the top.

Does anyone know whether that's doable if I remove the nose panel and intercooler first? I'm well aware that most people come at it from the bottom, but there's some weirdness with one of my PS hoses being looped around an oil cooler hose, and I'd rather not have to disconnect one or the other to unloop them and give me the space I need to get the old rad out.

TIA!

Hello - if you're still looking for a guide to replace the radiator, check out the below link for one of our site's DIY tech articles. I hope it'll help you with the work. If you have any further questions, feel free to post a Comment just below the article and someone will get back to you with more detailed info. Best of luck!

951 Radiator Replacement

-Dmitry
Old 02-09-2017, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Brozoar could you do me the favor of measuring the overall width and height of your stock 951 radiator?
Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I got my fan assembly out the top. Had use a similar process as Dano described.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
84 Black, 87 951

I just replaced my radiator in my 87 951 and did it from the top with intercooler left in place. Tight fit but a helper on top and myself underneath to guide into place. I replaced the rubber parts under and on top of radiator. PO had a N/A radiator in it so I changed it out.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Can you post pics of the new and old units side by side, please?
Old 02-25-2017, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: