Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 Power assist Steering

Just began driving my first 944 (1986) non Turbo car.
My power steering seems harder than most cars, however it is constant.
Is this a normal trait, or should I be looking for trouble? ( no noises and new belt )

Thanks
Bernie
Old 03-04-2017, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I assume you've checked the fluid level and looked underneath to see if the rubber bellows are intact on either side of the rack? And no signs of drips from the lines or pump?
Old 03-04-2017, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes, thanks. No visible fluid issues. Have only driven 300 miles or so. Probably a normal condition. Going to need to get more familiar with these cars i guess.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2017, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the 944 has firm/solid steering with the power assist - definitely more effort/better feel than a newer type car.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'm new to the 944's myself, I can tell you that on my 84 944 n/a that while sitting still with the power steering pump hooked up, I could turn the wheel with one hand, now that my adjustment link has broken, it definitely takes a lot of effort to turn it while sitting still. (Both hands and then some) Mine also made a lot of noise due to belt slipping. I am trying to decide on rebuilding mine to stop a leak or just trade it in on a rebuilt unit. Hope this helps?
Old 03-05-2017, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floor guy View Post
I am trying to decide on rebuilding mine to stop a leak or just trade it in on a rebuilt unit.
I believe mine needs new internal seals because there is PS fluid in the passenger rubber boot. For me, buying a rebuilt one make more sense than trying to do it myself. I know I'd save myself a lot of frustration if I didn't have to try to figure out how to do it and then not being sure that I did it right. I'll save money on the labor by doing it myself which will more than pay for the convenience of buying a rebuilt one.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Try driving a Mk2 Jaguar without PAS then you will know what non PAS is really like, the 944 dosent need PAS its a feather weight compared with cars of old.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My P.S. assist feels tight when driving at lower RPM. Has anyone experimented with installing a smaller diameter pulley on the P.S. pump to speed it up.. ?
Mine seems a bit easier to steer with a higher engine RPM.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mineral not synthetic based fluid? ie dex IID?

Have you ever changed the filter housing? They are twenty bucks or so for a ZF

Edit...Rebuild kits for the pumps where about 14 bucks the last time I bought some.

Last edited by thomasryan; 03-12-2017 at 09:50 AM..
Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

power steering

Thanks thomasryan
Kind of wondered about the filter after reading more. Should probably do that next. Read that it can be cleaned with mineral spirits. Any thoughts on that?What is ZF?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
The "ZF" he is referring to is a brand, you replace the whole reservoir and the filter is part of it. The reservoir isn't all that expensive, and the job is fairly straight forward.

Below is a link of the parts from our host:

1986 Porsche 944 Base Coupe - Steering System - Page 2
Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks; Took my reservoir off today and found that the screen (filter) can be released by a small screw. After which it was easy to clean the filter and reservoir with mineral Spirits and follow up with Brake Clean. Came out super clean.. Re filled and test drove (in the snow); may have helped a bit, but not sure yet.. Also found the new belt needed to be re-adjusted. After the next Blizzard, I will get a chance to test better.. Kind of thinking I don't really have a abnormal situation after all.. Just not familiar with the 944 traits just yet.. Thanks for all the input however!
Old 03-13-2017, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Oh , and found out what the ZF was about.. DUH!!
Old 03-13-2017, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: