Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry 944 Stuck window

1987 944 8v. The drivers window in by car sticks (RHD model - UK car). It only sticks when it is fully up, and closed hard into the window rubber at the top. If you do that it fails to reopen. If you just close it so the window just fits into the window rubber at the top and no more it works fine. It does not stick open or half way, only when closed tight.

I previously found that the window mechanism was very worn at the pivot (the arms / regulator / scissor type mechanism) and replaced this with a good second hand item and thought the problem was fixed but then it came back. If you disassemble the mechanism to release the stuck window and then reassemble it works fine again.... until it jams. If you take it apart the same thing happens again and so on. It is well greased etc.

I have tried swapping the switch from the untroubled side to no avail.

What is wrong? The only thing that I can think of is the motor is tired, but how check it. It works fine when out of the car and not under load.

Any ideas please?

Old 01-20-2003, 03:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think you have correctly identified the problem in the last line.

"Works fine when not under load"

Suspect your motor is worn and/or part of the internal components are stripped out. When not under load, the motor can move freely without binding or jamming. However putting it under load stresses the components just enough to cause it to jam. Interestingly enough, it jams only at its greatest point of travel (fully closed). where stresses on the motor are the greatest.

Suspect that in time, the poiint at which it jams will become lower and lower.

Advise replacement.

Welcome to our little group.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 01-20-2003, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for confirming what I feared! I have taken the motor apart and all looks ok inside. Not sure what has worn out as the bushes etc are ok. The other problem is if I go the second hand route, how do I know I am getting one that is much better than the one I have?
Old 01-20-2003, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A brush that "looks ok" may not be. Often, the length of the brush is too short - so that the spring does not put enough pressure to keep the brush in contact with the armature. Compare the length of your brushes to new ones. Also, the spaces between the contacts on the armature can get contaminated with brush dust - i.e. shorting out - and may need to be cleaned out.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Most motors fail because of lubrication and wear on the commutator. Lubrication with white grease will solve the one problem unless the bearings(bushings) are so worn as to create visible "slop" in the shaft. As far as the commutator goes, a light cleaning with #400 wet and dry sandpaper (used dry) and new brushes generally work wonders. Try this before getting an expen$ive new motor. Also, check the channels the window rides in. These wear ot as well, "cocking" the glass and putting a strain on the system. But if the mechanical part of the system (arms, etc) are badly worn, all the motor switches and channels wil not solve the problem; these parts will have to be replaced.

Good Luck

Old 01-20-2003, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: