Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to daveimme
Down for repairs

Well, my 944 is now a 'driveway ornament', and will be for a little while. I have a 91 acura integra that needs to have the rear wheels aligned (on frame machine....Dad had hit a few mailboxes, curbs, etc when he was reaching the end of his independence), so I will be driving this for a while.

I didn't get a chance to talk to my mechanic yet, so when I do, I will find out what he will be charging me and all.

The car has 61k miles on it, and timing belt changed about 10k miles ago, so can anyone offer tips on what I should do now that the head will be coming off? I would like to look and see if the water pump is original or if it is the updated; how do I know the difference?

Tips on what to do while head is off? All I should need is a head gasket, right? Or should I get a complete top end gasket?

My wife wants me to sell it when it is repaired, so I just might do that. Thinking of selling it and then looking for a 96-97 VW GTI. But I will not sell it until it is fixed and running great.

83 Suzuki LT 125 (4 wheeler) (wife)
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
2000 Kawasaki KX 65 (son)
2003 Honda XR 50 (Son and daughter)
Old 01-21-2003, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Dude, reseal the whole top end witha gasket kit. The kit will have everything you need to seal the top end. Timing belt break? Is so, you should also replace the valve guides and any valves that are bent. Vakve seals are included in the gasket kit. Dont know about the water pump. My car will soon be a 'driveway ornament' if I can get it into the driveway Dude, I can't wait to tear her apart and see what I find
Old 01-21-2003, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Again? I've been quite busy and not keeping up, but didn't you just fix it?

I'll be looking to compare prices for the parts I'll need......we'll see how it goes. Thanks...
92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 01-21-2003, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Talked to my mechanic today and he said fixing it should be no problem...unless the head is cracked. He has not replace the head gasket on a 944 before, either. (I don't think it is a problem for him, though).

My question (will show how ignorant I am) is.....I assume the timing belt has to be removed...does that mean it will have to be tensioned using the correct tool when it is re-assembled?

Is changing the head gasket just as similiar as changing a head gasket on a japanese or even a BMW (I did remove the head and replace a rocker arm on my 88 BMW 528e several years ago)?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Don't worry, it is not me doing the work, so y'all can relax a bit.

92 Honda XR 80 (son)
97 Honda CR 125R (son)
98 Honda CR250R (MINE)
Old 01-21-2003, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: