Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Testing a rocker switch

Quick question: trying to determine why the side mirrors don't move when using the toggle switch on the driver's door. I removed the left/right mirror selector switch in front of the ashtray and using a multimeter I get no continuity one any terminal pair no matter what position the switch is in.

Does this mean the switch is shot or does this test not work in this situation...for some reason?

I'm assuming that power goes through the switch first and then to the mirror, so if the switch is broken, then the power never gets to the mirrors.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I am not sure if this will apply to you directly as you may have an older gen vehicle, but I have tested my mirror switches if you want to give it a shot. Electrical Switch Testing – Project968

In a pinch as a quick test, you can spray contact cleaner on the switch from the outside in hopes that it cleans the contacts, if that is the problem.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Does only one side work, or do neither sides work? I'd also recommend spraying something like deoxit inside the switch.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The Project968 site is great. Thanks for the link. My switch only has three terminals (see pics), so the schematic doesn't match, but I'll have to read over your descriptions carefully.

Neither side works. So just wanted to confirm the process of testing the switch. I think what I'll try is to use a wire to jump two of the three disconnected wires that attach to the switch and see if the mirrors work. If they do, then I'll know the switch is bad. If not...well then I'll be back!

Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
update: I got the passenger mirror to move by jumping two of the leads. Mirror moves up, down, sideways...seems fine.

No joy for the driver's side. So I guess it's not only the switch but some wiring issue between the switch, the joystick, and mirror. Any ideas??
Old 04-01-2017, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
So, after failing in removing just the mirror portion (I couldn't even see the retaining ring let alone those notches you're supposed to move) I decided to remove the entire side mirror assembly off the car by removing the single hex cap screw hidden in the mirror base. And this is what I found...

You think this might be part of the problem?? Love those POs. Guess I'll have to remove the door panel and see what's in there!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: