Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Warm/cold lever stuck

Hi all. Trying to fix the warm/cold selection lever in the center console, which won't move. I tried to remove the console and seem to have everything loose, but I think the gauges and fan speed control are preventing the console from being pulled out. How do I proceed?

From what I can see by looking at the warm/cold lever mechanism I can't see an obvious problem, so I checked the heater control valve in the engine bay. With a long screwdriver I tried to move the white plastic lever, but it will only move just a little bit, but the warm/cold lever will also move. So I'm thinking the cable is fine. Question: could this control valve be the problem? If this valve is broken, would this prevent the lever from moving...I guess I'm asking, which would be the more likely issue? Thanks.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
bump
Old 04-11-2017, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Disconnect the cable from the heater valve at the valve.

You will then be able to determine whether it's the valve or the cable that is obstructed.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 04-11-2017, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Will do.

Thanks George!
Old 04-11-2017, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I removed the heater valve and the plastic lever moves freely. So the issue is with the cable. I assume then that the problem is in the mechanism at the other end of the cable, where it attaches to the temp lever in the console.

So from my initial post, how do I complete the removal of the console?
Old 04-14-2017, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Here are the cable securing locations and cable connection points on the ventilation switch:

Old 04-15-2017, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Patrick. I was finally able to remove the console and that part in your photos. I removed the cable as well and it appears it has been crimped in a couple of places, which is why the cable no longer moves. Just have to figure out which one of the three cables shown in the parts catalog it is and order it. Hopefully I'll be able to put everything back the way it was!

I did notice that the clip shown in the red circle is missing on my part and I don't see an individual part number for that clip in the catalog, but probably not a big as it simply helps hold the plastic control lever in place.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
It's all part of the same Porsche part number unfortunately.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Completed the repair. With the new cable it works fine. But that's one job I don't need to do again! Replacing the heater control valve is a real PITA!! The most frustrating part was tightening the hose clamp on the lower hose that connects to the bottom of the heater valve. But it's done now, no leaks, and didn't need to remove the intake manifold...mainly because I didn't know how and didn't want to tackle two jobs that I've never done before!
Old 04-29-2017, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Groovy!! All it really takes is patience. Maybe someone can chime in as it's been a few years but I think that hose clamp can be accessed from underneath the car... I don't remember how I got to it.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: