Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question 85.5 944 Radio Wiring

Hey everyone,

I am trying to figure out the wiring for a radio in a 1985.5 944. I have tried reading all the technical manuals I can find online but at this point am basically lost. To make matters worse, I think the problem might be it was rewired. When the car was purchased, my dad had the dealer install an aftermarket Kenwood (did it because it was removable so it wouldn't get stolen - it was a good move since the car has been broken into twice but both times the radio was out). We finally got the old Kenwood removed and I am trying to install a Jensen VX7012. However, like I said, I can't figure out the wiring.

So here is what I THINK. First there is a bundle of all brown wires, two that are brown and red and two that are just brown. I think there are the speaker wires and I just need to start tapping a 9v to see what speaker each is.

Then there is the obvious antenna hookup and a black wire around it. From my reading, I believe this is an amplifier and needs to be powered.

Then there are the rest. First there is a plastic plug with two lines on it: one has two green attached to it and the other has a brown. There is also a free-floating red and white. I took a volt meter and found that the terminal with the two greens touches to the brown with the key in passes voltage. Then the red and white wire to the brown also carries voltage, no key. That should mean red and white is 12v constant, two greens are 12v ignition, and brown is ground, right?

I tried looking at wiring diagram 944: Radio wiring but don't think I understand what I am reading (it looks like the two greens should be ground?).

Now, checking that to the manual at http://www.jensenmobile.com/docs/common/VX7012/VX7012_IM.pdf, I think I am supposed to connect radio yellow to car red/white, radio black to car brown, and radio red to car twin greens? After that, I start hooking up speakers. But that is at this point my best guess and I'd rather not blow something (car or radio).
Old 04-14-2017, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
85.5 , 944 , radio , wiring