Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

Reinstalling Fenders

I removed my front fenders for some body work and I am going to be re-installing. Should I reapply adhesive/caulk or does it matter?

Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I would, if the car ever sees salted winter roads.
When I swapped fenders on my car (even in SoCal) I just slathered the mating flange for the fenders with mastic and screwed it down.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I would definitely try to match the original caulk. The original body caulk had a very tough and pliable texture and I think it contributed to the crash worthiness of the car by gluing things together.

The 3m body caulk napa sells is weak, almost watery by comparison. There has to be something closer to the original.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnolan View Post
I would definitely try to match the original caulk. The original body caulk had a very tough and pliable texture and I think it contributed to the crash worthiness of the car by gluing things together.

The 3m body caulk napa sells is weak, almost watery by comparison. There has to be something closer to the original.
It will more than likely be a Wurth product and it may be listed in PET. The fenders contribute absolutely nothing to the crashworthiness of the car, generally anything bolted and/or glued to a unibody is not a structural part of the car.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
It brings back painful memories of when some jackhead backed up on the hood of my very 1st 944. I wish I had pictures of how the caulk held and the rest of the car deformed - grin
Old 04-20-2017, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
It also minimizes rattling, especially after a while when everything settles...
Old 04-20-2017, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to re-apply caulk to the fenders. Will do some research to determine what to use.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: