Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Send a message via AIM to MPitt
Car didn't turn off just now

This happened on the Turbo but I'm posting here in case it is something not specific to those.

To start with, when I left work today the I believe alternate belt was squealing a good bit and my voltage gauge was way down. The only thing out of the ordinary was I gave it a good washing before a car show Saturday but nothing underneath or that should have gotten up inside the engine bay. It ran fine Saturday to and from too.

When I got home I turned the ignition off but the engine sounded like it was still running sort of, but not completely on like you would expect. If I turned the key back to the on position without cranking the engine started up like normal but still would not turn off.

I tried putting it in gear to stall but it didn't seem to want to stall either. I was able to put it in reverse and get back out of the garage with very little power.

I popped the hood to get to the fuses and tried removing the ignition relays but that didn't do the trick either. The one ignition relay had a good bit of corrosion on the bottom. Eventually the engine sputtered out.

Right now I'm afraid to start it back up because there was a small amount of smoke and a really bad burnt plastic smell. I don't see anything leaking or dripping in the engine bay or under the car.

I did a lot of looking through here and RL and saw some posts talking about "dieseling". I don't think that's what was happening, but that was new to me so I'm not sure. Are there any more obvious things I missed that should be checked?

Old 05-22-2017, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Until you figure it out, don't park in your garage and don't leave it in gear.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 05-22-2017, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Or just leave the battery disconnected. Sounds kind of like some water ingress under the battery tray to the DME harness..
84 928S - Restoration Project
Old 05-23-2017, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to MPitt
I did jack it up to check the starter. When I accidentally touched the solenoid is was very hot like it had constant current going to it. After disconnecting the battery it cooled off. There was a faint burnt smell by the wires but it was more noticeable in the engine bay directly above the starter. I didn't get a good look at the alternator last night but it didn't smell unusual by it. I can't say that I noticed any water under the battery but I'll take it out when I get home.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
OOhh... You need to check and make sure the positive cable from the battery is not starting to ground out due to a deteriorating insulating jacket somewhere between the battery, alternator, and starter..

84 928S - Restoration Project
Old 05-23-2017, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: