Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1984 Porsche 944 Motor noise

Randomly started making a loud noise last night just out of the blue. Ill attach some videos of it. Cant really tell where the noise is coming from though. Theres a oil leak towards the bottom of the black hosing thats connected to the distributor. (Dont know to much about these cars lol). Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSaMRZN8qHo

Old 06-11-2017, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

remove the alternator belt and then remove the two outer belt covers (7 bolts on top cover, 4 bolts on lower cover), it sounds like one of your belt idlers has died, or your balance shaft belt is very loose and banging the cover.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Sounds painful...
Please follow V2's suggestion and inspect behind the timing belt covers. Also (while you're in there), check the water pump for seized/trashed bearings. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2017, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
remove the alternator belt and then remove the two outer belt covers (7 bolts on top cover, 4 bolts on lower cover), it sounds like one of your belt idlers has died, or your balance shaft belt is very loose and banging the cover.
Do they have tutorials on here to help me through it?
Old 06-11-2017, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Clark's Garage Home Page

has all the tutorial you'll ever need

plus youtube if your more of a visual learning you can find plently of video on how to take the timing cover off just search 944 timing belt how to
Old 06-11-2017, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I was fortunate enough to have thought to take the timing belt covers off the 88S I picked up a while back when firing it up the first time. The PO told me the waterpump was going out. It fired it up and the timing belt started smoking after a few seconds. Waterpump has seized. So from then on, any time I plan on firing up a newly acquired 944's, those covers are coming off beforehand to spot any potential valve killing mishaps.

84 928S - Restoration Project
Old 06-12-2017, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: