Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Misunderstood User

Garage
I'm the original owner of my 83. Upon ordering the the car, I looked at the PS option. I was advised against it because it leaked. It was a known problem. I ordered with the standard 3 spoke wheel. Admittedly , parallel parking is a challenge. I live in Chicago - the folks that live in the city can parallel park w/o a problem, those in the burbs, not so much - no one parallel parks in the burbs. You can tell a city car from a burb car: the city cars have dents/dings on their bumpers, the side are clean. The burb cars are just the opposite. I grew up in the city, did the burb experience and am now back in the city. I can parallel park and I come from the 50s/60s generation. I learned to drive on a 60 Chevy, straight 6, 3 on the tree, no ps, no pb. I currently have a 2003 Passat with a 5 speed manual. Still live in the city, it is a pain but I like shifting gears.
Driving my 83 has never been an issue - I have a bigger problem with shifting in city traffic - that is a PITA. In 2006, I changed the wheel to a 4 spoke Porsche steering wheel, an option in 83. The diameter is smaller. I like the smaller wheel primarily for an easier in/out. I went to 17 inch wheels too.

I not here to talk you out of this and I have never driven a PS 944. Im trying to understand the need to switch. It has been done - it is your choice.

So, due the diligence and if you decide to switch, go for it. The beauty of the choice is it isn't irreparable.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 08-10-2017, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWash View Post
Arthropraxis, Would you know where I might find one of those "sport" racks?

And just so everybody understands, I am using DEX-II fluid - I do know how to read the manual.
I got lucky and found one on Ebay. I did not know what it was when I bought it, found out later when trying to get inner tie rods to work with my late offset car.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

lube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam View Post
Given scarcity and price of manual-rack parts, why not just tear out the PS bits? I've done this on all our 944s: pulled out the pump, the lines and such and then stopped up the ports. The steering is heavy in a parking lot but on the highway it's great. Original PS was variable assist anyway and you really only notice the lack thereof at very low speeds.

It was George B from 944Ecology that suggested this to me years ago.
I'm doing the same with an 86 944 set up for SCCA ITS road racing. Was wondering if you should put some kind of lubricant (axle grease, oil?) before you plug it or just seal it up as is?
Old 10-30-2017, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I have zero experience with this company in the link below, but found it whilst searching the 'net. I did place a call to this company and was greeted quickly and professionally. From my brief conversation, it appears that everything needed would ship quickly. But, that's the extent of my experience.

944 Power to Manual Steering | THE MACHINE SHOP

Last edited by Jay H; 10-30-2017 at 11:26 AM..
Old 10-30-2017, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I have an '83 manual steering and an '85 power steering. I much prefer the '83 for the better road feel, the '85 is nicer in a parking lot but I bought the Porsche for the driving pleasure not as a parking lot Queen.

The '85 is just like any good German Shepard - leaves it's mark wherever it pauses for a moment!

I have an '86 parts car that I test drove before starting to strip parts off. I just flipped the belt off the PS pump for the drive and I see very little difference from the manual rack that way.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
I have zero experience with this company in the link below, but found it whilst searching the 'net. I did place a call to this company and was greeted quickly and professionally. From my brief conversation, it appears that everything needed would ship quickly. But, that's the extent of my experience.

944 Power to Manual Steering | THE MACHINE SHOP
Nice find. Going to contact them to see if they can make manual steering intermediate shafts.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3FSridFEuY

Pretty good video on how to depower the rack.
86 944 SP1
Old 11-05-2017, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: