Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Options for factory foglamp slot?

So, I've ordered a set of quality lamps with a nice cutoff. If they suit my needs for low beam driving in foul weather, I'd like to replace the factory fog lamps with a pair of quality driving lamps. These *appear* to be close to a stock Hella standard size. So I thought I'd ask if anyone's put their own lamps down there and what did you use?

I'd also like to know if there is tribal knowledge to switch the wiring to allow independent operation of the foglamps/driving lamps whenever I want to use them? Thanks.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

im assuming you are going to be having fog/foul weather lamps AND driving lamps?

easy way would be to hook the existing wiring to your stock fog lamps to your new driving lamps.
then, add some wires to power your new foul weather lights via your side marker lights, by getting some of these electrical terminals...

this way, turning the light switch to position one lights up your ambers and foul weather lights, and you can control your new driving lights with the "fog switch" on the console.

this arrangement will make the new driving lamps flash when you pull the headlight stalk with headlights in down position.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
My bad. No, I got high end headlamps (Koitos) which have a very sharp beam cutoff that is useful in fog and snow. I understand they are also the best of the 7" round lamps for beam width. So they may/will fulfill much of the role of a fog beam. Since I'm not expecting to drive this car in foul weather much, I'd rather replace the factory fogs with driving beams for more light down the road.

So, I'd like to be able to have "all on" ability with every lumen working for me on high beam and the power to those factory aux fog lamps is cut off when the high beams are on per Federal standards. I like your "winkie" suggestion a lot.

So I guess lets stick with "what have others put down there in terms of lamps" and I'll ask the wiring question later. For starters, the Hella fogs on my car almost look like a stock lamp directly out of the Hella product line. True?

Doug
Old 08-13-2017, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

ah ok.
somewhere, probably under the dash, there is a relay that blocks out the fog light function when you pull the high beam stalk if the headlights are up...
i believe removing/disconnecting that relay should solve it.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: